cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leale1997
Contributor III
Contributor III

Set Variable to Text Value with an if(then) statement

New to qlik so this is probably a simple fix but I am just missing the solution. 

I have a data set with a field called date_closed. 

I want to create a variable that will display the text 'Open' anytime that field is null, and 'Closed' if the field is not null.

This is the script I have been trying to use:

SET vRecordStatus =IF(IsNull(date_closed), 'Open', 'Closed') ;

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Erka,

The expression is fine. Just that use LET in place of SET. Your expression would be

LET vRecordStatus =IF(IsNull(date_closed), 'Open', 'Closed') ;

Cheers,

Ritesh Pathak

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Erka,

The expression is fine. Just that use LET in place of SET. Your expression would be

LET vRecordStatus =IF(IsNull(date_closed), 'Open', 'Closed') ;

Cheers,

Ritesh Pathak

leale1997
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks so much!  That worked.

Can I bother you with one more question?  I want to assign the variable to an input box so that a drop down will appear, allow the user to choose between 'Open' and 'Closed' and change all the records on the page to correspond to the variable selection.

I created an input box and assigned the variable I created.  But only the 'Open' is appearing with no option to choose 'Closed'

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Erka,

Please goto variable overview and delete your variable vRecordStatus and then use below expression for your variable creation

LET vRecordStatus = if(IsNull(date_closed) or Trim(date_closed) ='', 'Open','Close') ;

it should work.

Let me know if you face any more issue.

Cheers,
Ritesh Pathak

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Erka,

What you could do is:

While loading the table itself load additional column in your script. See script below for details:

Load

Date_Closed,

if(IsNull(date_closed) or Trim(date_closed) ='', 'Open','Closed') as Status

From ...... ;

and use the new field 'Status' as a list box for filter and in your expression for chart calculation. Hope it should work.

Please confirm whether it worked or not.

Thanks and regards,

Ritesh Pathak