Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Set analysis MTD vs. YTD

Hello,

I am looking for some help on a graph I am trying to produce.  I have tried two ways to create the graph and I am missing a piece of the syntax.

Here is what I am trying to do:

Show the top 5 variations of this year vs. last in Net Premium.  My data is in MTD format, but this year's data is only through August.  How do I exclude the last 4 months, while also making the graph dynamic based on user selections.  Here is the syntax I have tried so far:

=(

SUM({$<YEAR={2014}, [MONTH] = {"<=8"}>} [NET WRIT PREM])-SUM({$<YEAR={2013}, [MONTH] = {"<=8"}>}[NET WRIT PREM])) / SUM({$<YEAR={2013}, [MONTH] = {"<=8"}>}[NET WRIT PREM])

The above syntax is not dynamic based on month selections, and will not change.  It does seem to exclude any month after August.

Syntax 2:

The first curly bracket after Month is bringing in a syntax error.

=(SUM({$<YEAR={2014}, [MONTH] -= {"9","10","11","12"}>} [NET WRIT PREM])

-SUM({$<YEAR={2013}, [MONTH] -= {"9","10","11","12"}>}[NET WRIT PREM])) /

SUM({$<YEAR={2013}, [MONTH] -= {"9","10","11","12"}>}[NET WRIT PREM])

Looking at the references and beginners guides out there I believe I have close to the correct syntax.

Thank you for the help,

Justin

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonnyPoole
Former Employee
Former Employee

So for the max(Year) thing, the following syntax should work in your SET ANALYSIS. So instead of 2014 , if the user selected 2013 only, the max year would be 2013.

YEAR={$(=Max(Year))}

if your variable had a definition of:   =Max(Year)   

...then you could leverage the variable in the SET ANALYSIS like this

Year={$(vMaxYear)}

Take care with your variable definition. If you had this:   Max(Year)   

...which has no equal sign in front it can still work but you'd need to update the SET ANALYSIS to

Year={"=$(vMaxYear)"}

You can do something similar for Month. Use the double quotes because its a 'search' expression. 

MONTH={"<$(=Max(Month))"}

View solution in original post

8 Replies
JonnyPoole
Former Employee
Former Employee

I think by having a SET MODIFIER on Month, you are not going to have user selections on MONTH be 'listened too'.

The following will be dynamic with Months but not Year.  You can introduce a variable to store the max(Year) based on user selections and use that in the filter.

=

(

SUM(  if( Year=2014 and Month <= 8,  [NET WRIT PREM] ))

-

SUM(   if( Year=2014 and Month <= 8, [NET WRIT PREM]))

) 

/

SUM( if( Year=2014 and Month <= 8 , [NET WRIT PREM]))

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Jonathan,

Thank you again for the help.  This file seems to calculate incorrectly.  I am looking for the variance from 2014 and 2013.  I changed the last two years to 2013 to get a variance.  When I quality checked against the formula that was only dynamic if the user had a month before August selected, they did not return the same value.  I will include the picture.  Also, I am intrigued by the variable for max(Year).  Could you speak to that as well?

Table.png

JonnyPoole
Former Employee
Former Employee

i looked at my expression and realize i left Year=2014 everywhere.  Below i updated the denominator as well as the 2nd sum in the numerator to be 2013.  But i wasn't clear on your response... did you already try this and its incorrect ?  I'd like to play with the QVW if possible.  If you create a variable with a formula of max(Year), the variable will update with every user selection to calculate the maximum year. You can use the variable to good effect in SET ANALYSIS etc...

=

(

SUM(  if( Year=2014 and Month <= 8,  [NET WRIT PREM] ))

-

SUM(   if( Year=2013 and Month <= 8, [NET WRIT PREM]))

)

/

SUM( if( Year=2013 and Month <= 8 , [NET WRIT PREM]))

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Jonathan,

I tried that formula and it did not return values correctly. Thank you again for the help. I tried this formula and it seems to work:

=

IF(MONTH<='8', (SUM({$<YEAR={2014}>} [NET WRIT PREM])-SUM({$<YEAR={2013}>}[NET WRIT PREM])) / SUM({$<YEAR={2013}>}[NET WRIT PREM]),
(
SUM({$<YEAR={2014}, MONTH={'1','2','3','4','5','6','7','8'}>} [NET WRIT PREM])-SUM({$<YEAR={2013}, MONTH={'1','2','3','4','5','6','7','8'}>}[NET WRIT PREM])) / SUM({$<YEAR={2013}, MONTH={'1','2','3','4','5','6','7','8'}>}[NET WRIT PREM]))

It seems very inefficient and will need to be updated monthly as I introduce a new set of data.  Any thoughts?

I have created a formula call vMaxYear.  How could I introduce this into this example?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

One other quick question on this.  When I have updated to the formula I included, I am trying to show the top / bottom 5 states.  The top 5 seems to be working correctly, but the bottom five is behaving oddly.  When there are no selections, it will only show 4 states.  When there is a selection for month, it will show 5 states properly.  Any way to fix this or thoughts on what is causing this?

JonnyPoole
Former Employee
Former Employee

So for the max(Year) thing, the following syntax should work in your SET ANALYSIS. So instead of 2014 , if the user selected 2013 only, the max year would be 2013.

YEAR={$(=Max(Year))}

if your variable had a definition of:   =Max(Year)   

...then you could leverage the variable in the SET ANALYSIS like this

Year={$(vMaxYear)}

Take care with your variable definition. If you had this:   Max(Year)   

...which has no equal sign in front it can still work but you'd need to update the SET ANALYSIS to

Year={"=$(vMaxYear)"}

You can do something similar for Month. Use the double quotes because its a 'search' expression. 

MONTH={"<$(=Max(Month))"}

JonnyPoole
Former Employee
Former Employee

I'm not sure , are you showing 'OTHERS' or hiding 'OTHERS' ?  'OTHERS'  counts for 1 of the buckets. Do you think there is a NULL value ?  Try playing with the presentation tab suppress zeros property or the dimensions tab 'suppress nulls' property.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Jonathan,

It all worked great!

When I selected the suppress nulls property that showed the fifth element, even though that number has a value.  That seemed weird to me.  Thanks again!