Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Set analysis counting in combo chart

So i have an issue using combo charts and using set analysis. I have only started using qlikview this week on my internship and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head arround using set analysis for solving more complex selection or visualisation problems.

Here is the issue, we have a master set which contains admissions of students. It is quite a large set and it contains a lot of admissions. I wanted to make a chart that would plot the admissions of students according too age for a given region and differentiating male or female. I have succesfully plotted this on a bar chart, with 2 bars for each age, male and female and a count on both for a selected region and type of education (kindergarden, primary, secondary school). Now on another chart i did somethign simular and charted the count of students per age for different geographical locations (provinces of the country) on a line chart. Which is does without a hitch with a simple count, same with the previous one its a simple count.

So at this point i have 1 chart with dimension, age and dimension sex with an expression count on admissions, and the other chart has a dimension of age and province with an expression count on admission.

Now simply combining these two, by adding all dimension and 2 count functions on the same thing obviously didnt work. What was i expecting right? The problem is i have absolutely no idea how to combine these 2 chart into 1. I have read about set analysis, but i'm just having a hard time combining the two. combografiek.png

A picture of the 2 charts so you have a better look on what i am trying to combine any idea how i could go about acomplishing this or any tips on what to look into?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Create chart with only one dimension and separate expressions for each dimension value of gender and for each dimension value of region and hard code the dimension value in the expression:

Count({<Gender={'Male'}>} Something)

Count({<Gender={'Female'}>} Something)

Count({<Region={'Antwerpen'}>} Something)

Count({<Region={'Luik'}>} Something)

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

I advice against combing those two charts. It will be a very cluttered chart that will be very hard to read and understand. two charts like you have is a much better idea.

Not applicable
Author

Oh I agree it would be cluttered as hell, but I am in the process of learning and experimenting with these things within Qlikview. It would never be something that would leave my laptop, I am just looking into ways to combine charts, more in a sense of experimentation and proof of concept as in can it be done within Qlikview. I think we can all agree that in this case it shouldn't be done but can it be done.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Create chart with only one dimension and separate expressions for each dimension value of gender and for each dimension value of region and hard code the dimension value in the expression:

Count({<Gender={'Male'}>} Something)

Count({<Gender={'Female'}>} Something)

Count({<Region={'Antwerpen'}>} Something)

Count({<Region={'Luik'}>} Something)