Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Set analysis of a variable containing functions with other set analysis

Hi,

My first community post. Hope you can help me. I've received enourmous help from here merely by Googling. Great community!

My problem

I want to create a set analysis of a variable containing functions that includes other set analysis.

Example

I have a defined variable: that is vMySpecialMargin = sum({$<Year={2014}>} Sales) / sum({$<Year={2010}>} Costs)

I want to do this in a chart expression: ={$<BusinessUnit={SecretServices}>} $(vMySpecialMargin)

That gives me nothing. It doesn't work.

What I've already tried in the chart expression that doesn't work

={$<BusinessUnit={SecretServices}>} $(vMySpecialMargin)

=Sum({$<BusinessUnit={SecretServices}>} $(vMySpecialMargin))     //The sum would be redundant, but i thought it might've helped with the set analysis.

Is it possible to do this?

I use the function in the variable on a lot of places and when I need to tweek it it takes a lot of time as it is now. If I could put it in one common place for the charts and just change a customize a few set analysis code snippets once in each chart it would save me a lot of time and effort.

Of course my example is for silly data but it explains my problem.

Kind regards

Message was edited by: Rasmus Toivonen

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tresesco
MVP
MVP

I don't like 'not possible'. You can do that with multiple variables. Like:

Var1 ='sum({$<Year={2014}'

Var2 ='>} Sales)'

Var3 =' / sum({$<Year={2010}'

Var4 ='>} Costs)'

Now your expressions would be like:

=$(Var1) & ' ,BusinessUnit={SecretServices}' & $(Var2) & $(Var3) &  ' ,BusinessUnit={SecretServices}' & $(Var4)

Note: Be careful of the commas.

and similarly for other expressions.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
alexandros17
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

This is what you need:

sum({$<Year={2014}, BusinessUnit={'SecretServices'}>} Sales) / sum({$<Year={2010}, BusinessUnit={'SecretServices'}>} Costs)

Let me know

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the super quick answer!

But... that is exactly the function I have in my expression now (but much more complex and with more set analysises.).

I wanted to lift out parts of the function into a variable and just change a part of the set analysis for each time I re-use the function/expression that I've moved to the variable.

I want to do this:

Chart 1: ={$<BusinessUnit={SecretServices}>} $(vMySpecialMarginFunction)

Chart 2: ={$<BusinessUnit={NavySeal}>} $(vMySpecialMarginFunction)

Chart 3: ={$<BusinessUnit={McRonald}>} $(vMySpecialMarginFunction)

where $(vMySpecialMarginFunction) also has  its own set analysis in its definition.

alexandros17
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Unfortunately the syntax is wrong, you have to insert the condition for BusinessUnit in $(vMySpecialMarginFunction)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

So basically it is not possible to do this?

alexandros17
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

It is possible but not in that way

With the sysntax I gav eyou try to substitute the businessUnit section with a variable ...

sum({$<Year={2014}, BusinessUnit={$(varValue)}>} Sales) / sum({$<Year={2010}, BusinessUnit={{$(varValue)}}>} Costs)

tresesco
MVP
MVP

I don't like 'not possible'. You can do that with multiple variables. Like:

Var1 ='sum({$<Year={2014}'

Var2 ='>} Sales)'

Var3 =' / sum({$<Year={2010}'

Var4 ='>} Costs)'

Now your expressions would be like:

=$(Var1) & ' ,BusinessUnit={SecretServices}' & $(Var2) & $(Var3) &  ' ,BusinessUnit={SecretServices}' & $(Var4)

Note: Be careful of the commas.

and similarly for other expressions.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you for this!

Not exactly a "graceful" solution. But still a solution.

I understand that it this wasn't solveable in a way as nice as I would've liked.