cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Show different 'versions' of same business data

Hi,

I have some customer data which contains basic information (name, id, address, credit rating etc.) which may change over time. In logical modelling terms this is a Slowly Changing Dimension (SCD).

I have a single 'customer' table which contains all 'versions' of the data for each customer.

I need the user to be able to select a single customer id (field 'custid') and then select up to 2 'versions' and have the details of each version displayed.

I have achieved this but only by creating an entirely duplicate table ('Customer2') and then linking the two tables via the 'custid' field. I think we should be able to do this using a combination of variables and set analysis - but it is beyond me at the moment.

As an example I might have the following information for a customer (ID=2):

custid     custseq     custname     addr1          addr2          credit_rating

2          1           fred         fred-addr1     fred-addr2     100

2          2           fred         fred-addr1     fred-addr2     200

2          3           fred         fred-addr1     fred-addr2     300

In this sample the 'custseq' field identifies the different version of information for a customer row.

So my user might select 'custid=2' (Fred) and then might choose to display custseq 1 and 3, custseq 2 and 3.

Note:

- a customer may only have one row

- fields custid and custseq form a unique identifier (Primary Key) for this data

I have attached a sample qvw file with very simple data which shows the basic requirement. For this sample I am displaying the results in a text box, the real qvw will display it in a chart/table of some description.

But that is after I can sort out the functionality.

All help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

Can you check the attached file if this is what you are looking to do?

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

2 Replies
sunny_talwar

Can you check the attached file if this is what you are looking to do?

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Perfect! Thank you very much.

Cheers,

Dave