Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Inessan86
Contributor II
Contributor II

Show string after second or more appearance of specific char

Hi All,

I have two columns; one holds the codes for changed fields, the second keeps string of the values for each changed field: 

Field1: ,25,52,12,

Field2: ~abc~def~gh~

I want to see what is the value for field 52 (def). 

I used the following function to retrieve the number of commas up to 52: SubStringCount(TextBetween([Field1],',','52'),',') as CommasCounter (in this case 2)

and now I need to get the value in Field2 after 2 appearances of  ~ symbol. 

Any idea of how doing that? 

Inessa

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Inessan86
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I used SubField(Field2, '~', SubStringCount(TextBetween(Field1,'',52),',')) and it worked for me. 

Thank you for your reply, guys! 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
tresesco
MVP
MVP

You can use the same textbetween() with additional parameter for count, like:

Textbetween(Field2, '~', '~', 2

Kushal_Chawda

if you need full string after 2 appearances then try below

=mid(Field2,index(Field2,'~',2)+1)

sunny_talwar

Is there a reason not to use SubField() function for this

SubField([Field1], ',', 2) & '(' & SubField([Field2], '~', 2) & ')'
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

@Inessan86  You have received 3 possible options on your post, we would greatly appreciate it if you would return to the thread and close it out by using the Accept as Solution button on the post(s) that helped you solve the use case.  If you did something different based upon the posts, you may post what you did instead and then mark that post using the button, but I would encourage to use the Like feature on the post(s) that helped in that case too.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
Inessan86
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I used SubField(Field2, '~', SubStringCount(TextBetween(Field1,'',52),',')) and it worked for me. 

Thank you for your reply, guys!