Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Simple question? Optionally apply a filter

Hi,

I have a LOAD in the script I'm currently working on with two filters - but in one specific situation I have just implemented the code for, this LOAD is also needed - but with only one of the two filters, the second one would lead to 0 records being found ...

I have a variable that is 1 when this specific situation is there, so I could built two LOADs in a big IF_THEN clause - but is there a slimmer way, to write the LOAD only once and optionally apply that filter?

Can I define that filter as a variable, for example, and just make it "1=1" if the filtering function is not needed?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Marcus,

I just tricked myself in searching for a performance_improvement:

- At the very outset of my script, I split one big table I need several times into two parts, depending on the value in one

specific field: Field is TRANCODE, values are SPRECEIVE and all others.

- At that other point in the script which lead to this post I had a LOAD from one of  these parts and I had two filters in place - one for that very field which I don't really need to check anymore ...

- I saw that in a very specific situation I could use that same LOAD, but I would have to deactivate just that filter (I would have needed that field TRANCODE unfiltered) - so I could not have done this because the LOAD was from that table that was already filtered on that field.

So, in the end, I did use an IF_THEN_ELSE clause because I had to use a LOAD from the other part of that table in that specific situation, in which case all the field_names are different.

Thus, this issue is solved, kind of ...

Best regards,

DataNibbler

View solution in original post

5 Replies
rubenmarin

Hi DataNibbler, maybe you can use the variable to fill another variable with the filter, something like:

LET vFilter = If($(vApplyFilter)=0, null(), 'where conditions');

And use it in the query:

LOAD fields

Resident/from/select

$(vFilter);

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Ruben,

I'll try ...

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Ah - no, I just realized I could not do it that way even if it worked (up to now it doesn't, but that's only logical in this instance) - I have filtered the base_table from which I do this LOAD (as a RESIDENT LOAD) on a certain field, which rules out its use in this specific situation. Complicated to explain, but the effect is easy - the specific ID I'm searching for in this specific situation is no longer in that version of the base_table, even if I were to use a NULL-filter - so I have to use a different base table.

Best regards,

DataNibbler

marcus_sommer

Hi DataNibbler,

it's not quite clear for me what do you want to do - but you are speaking about loading one field and searching for a certain fieldvalue - for this it might be useful or an alternative to use a load-loop over fieldvalue() or searching the value per fieldindex().

- Marcus

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Marcus,

I just tricked myself in searching for a performance_improvement:

- At the very outset of my script, I split one big table I need several times into two parts, depending on the value in one

specific field: Field is TRANCODE, values are SPRECEIVE and all others.

- At that other point in the script which lead to this post I had a LOAD from one of  these parts and I had two filters in place - one for that very field which I don't really need to check anymore ...

- I saw that in a very specific situation I could use that same LOAD, but I would have to deactivate just that filter (I would have needed that field TRANCODE unfiltered) - so I could not have done this because the LOAD was from that table that was already filtered on that field.

So, in the end, I did use an IF_THEN_ELSE clause because I had to use a LOAD from the other part of that table in that specific situation, in which case all the field_names are different.

Thus, this issue is solved, kind of ...

Best regards,

DataNibbler