Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nadkalyan
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Sorting Nulls at last row

Hi , I have a straight table with a dimension and several Expressions. I did sort Dimension By Text A-->Z . It was working fine until Null Values dont come up. Null Value for dimension is coming on first row. How can i show Null Value at end(last row) still keeping my original sort for other dimension values A-->Z.

5 Replies
manojkvrajan
Luminary
Luminary

Simplest solution is to introduce a flag field for this null value and use the expression sort in descending/ascending. However, you can hide the column. I understand it is little gruelling work however, this is the shortest workaround to meet the requirement.

manojkvrajan
Luminary
Luminary

Please upload a sample qvw and see if I can be of any help.

nadkalyan
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Manoj,

Attached is the sample QVW file. I tried using Expression sort , still same issue. Any assistance will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Kalyan

manojkvrajan
Luminary
Luminary

Kalyan, I dint make any change to your qvw document. However, I just handled the script to address the null issue. Please use the IF (IsNull(Data)=-1 OR Data = '',null(),Data) AS Data in your extraction script if your data is small. Otherwise Resident load will also be an option to address this requirement. Attached is the sample. I hope it helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The original qvw appears to have been taken down, but if the temporary table in the Sort Null_Solution is the same, it looks like it's the blank value that gets sorted to the top row, not a null value. In that case the solution is as simple as the sort expression "If(Data = '',1,0) ." Anything greater than "1" can be put in its place in the If statement.

I've had an issue with nulls that refused to move the bottom row. I realized that the chart type was accidentally selected as a Pivot Table rather than Straight Table. The sort expression above won't work in a pivot table.

I hope that can help someone.