Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Javanshir_Mustafayev
Contributor III
Contributor III

Store historical data in MySQL or QVD? What would be the best approach

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to Qlik Sense and would like to store historical data (which isn't stored within our DB's right now) and I'm looking for the best approach.

1. Store historical data to a dedicated MySQL table

2. Store historical data to a QVD

Both will be updated with increments of changed rows daily (and manually if needed, per special request).

Which approach would be the best?

The data to be stored will be some fields of Jira Issues within particular projects. 

Date, Storypoints, Status, Sprint, JiraID, IssueType. This fields are to be populated and stored daily to db or qvd.

Labels (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

That looks reasonable to me, again, the target storage will depend mainly on the consumption of such data.

If you are only exploring and analyzing that data with Qlik tools, definitely go for QVDs, at the end of the day, if a new tool, not planned today, comes in place, you can also connect to JIRA and see.

Depending on your efforts, see if it would be useful to send from JIRA to MySQL then to QVD then to Qlik. It might be a lot of work, but if you will use that data somewhere else, it will be easier to consume from a database than from the JIRA source itself.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

If the data is to be consumed exclusively or mostly in Qlik, then QVD. If that data will be used in other tools, then MySQL and QVDs (loading from optimized QVDs is extremely fast in Qlik)

Which mechanism will populate those QVDs though? JIRA -> ??? -> MySQL/QVD.

marcus_sommer

It depends on various aspects of your environment and you may do both. In regard of performance loading from qvd's is usually much faster as from a db - especially if they are stored on a very fast storage/network and the cardinality of the fields against the number of records is rather low and if they could be loaded optimized.

- Marcus

Javanshir_Mustafayev
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

To populate the MySQL we use G-Scripts. To populate QVD I'm planning to use REST connection directly from Qlik to Jira. Are there other easy to setup ways?

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

That looks reasonable to me, again, the target storage will depend mainly on the consumption of such data.

If you are only exploring and analyzing that data with Qlik tools, definitely go for QVDs, at the end of the day, if a new tool, not planned today, comes in place, you can also connect to JIRA and see.

Depending on your efforts, see if it would be useful to send from JIRA to MySQL then to QVD then to Qlik. It might be a lot of work, but if you will use that data somewhere else, it will be easier to consume from a database than from the JIRA source itself.