Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

String to date

Good day,

I'm new to Qlik and need some help.

I do have a field in my QVD called Month_Code and looks like 201603. This code is a string that refers to the year and month. I need to convert this to a date where the first part of the string will be 2016 as the year and 03 as the month. The day can be either the 1st or last day of the month.

What is the best way to convert the string?

5 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

You can do it like

Date(Date#(Month_code, 'YYYYMM')) as YearMonth

Not applicable
Author

I tried this one, but it did not apply correctly. the following code however did the trick:

(year(Date(Makedate(left(MONTH_CODE,4), right(MONTH_CODE,2), '01'),'YYYY/MM/DD'))

& month(Date(Makedate(left(MONTH_CODE,4), right(MONTH_CODE,2), '01'),'YYYY/MM/DD')))

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Your code will return something like

2016Mar

right?

Though the format may be like intended, please note that this code will not return a value that can be used in QV date / time functions,nor will it be appear in a proper sort order. It just returns a text value.

Have a look at

Get the Dates Right

Why don’t my dates work?

On Format Codes for Numbers and Dates

You can add a format code to my first expression:

LOAD *,

Date(Date#(MONTH_CODE,'YYYYMM'),'YYYYMMM') as RealNewDate,

(year(Date(Makedate(left(MONTH_CODE,4), right(MONTH_CODE,2), '01'),'YYYY/MM/DD'))

& month(Date(Makedate(left(MONTH_CODE,4), right(MONTH_CODE,2), '01'),'YYYY/MM/DD'))) as YourNewDate;

LOAD * INLINE [

MONTH_CODE

];

Not applicable
Author

Thank you, Appreciated.

oknotsen
Master III
Master III

If your question is now answered, please flag the Correct Answer.

If not, please let us know what part of your topic still needs answering .

May you live in interesting times!