Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Sum Feild by a Distinct Id to Avoid Incorrect Value Due to Duplicates

Hello QlikCommunity,

For performance reasons we have denormalized a transactional data model into one single table (we were told this was a best practice for our situation). This has caused much of the measurable data to become duplicated and thus inflated the values when trying to aggregate those measures. Here is an example of what happened when we combined the transaction level data with the product level data:

TransactionIDProductIDTransCost
11$10
12$10
13$10
27$55
28$55

*Multiple products (productID) can be associated to one transaction, and each transaction (TransactionID) only has one cost (TransCost). As you can see, the transaction cost has been duplicated for every time there was a product associated with that transaction.

When I attempt to Sum() the result is: Sum(TransCost)= $140, when in reality it should only be $65. In other BI packages we were able add calculation context in the formula, example: Sum(TransCost) Foreach TransactionID   and this would ignore the duplicates.

Is there an equivalent to the above example within QlikView? I have researched Set Analysis, but haven't found a solution yet.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and expertise!

-Chris

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

sum(

aggr(

sum(distinct TransCost),

TransactionID

)

)

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

sum(

aggr(

sum(distinct TransCost),

TransactionID

)

)

Not applicable
Author

Thank you! This does seem to be working.

Do you think the approach that we took to create one table out of a transactional system is appropriate as long as we used the solution you posted where needed?

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

It´s normal fall into this situation when you denormalize your data.

I recommend reading http://community.qlik.com/blogs/qlikviewdesignblog/2012/10/26/mixed-granularity from Henric Cronström,

Henric is always writing great blogs posts, he is a 'must to follow'