Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Time chart wizard

Hi all, just joined this community for I am learning QW. I am currently trying to understand how it treats the time dimension. I have a very simple monthly sales data table (as usual year, quarter, month, product, geo area, sales unit and sales value). I have tried to use the wizard to create a pivot table where i can drill up and down on the time dimension, but at step 3 QW asks me for a date/time expression that I don't have in my table. If I select the MONTH field I get a "Wrong expression" message and if I continue I am not able to get any table. Also, what should I put in the next Expression Data field ? today() doesn't work.

Thanks in advance for your help.

NS

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Maybe you could post an extact of your app, I could check the format of your date fields.

To display a chart with time, you can use a bar chart (for example) :

Month is your dimension

Sum(Sales) is your expression

After you can arrange the backgroung.

JJJ

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for replying JJJ

My actual goal is to show Change Diff and Change Diff % columns in a pivot table (e.g. current period - previous period). I have read that this feature is automatic in QW if the proper time dimension is used, so I started investigating the Time Wizard. But it seems like I cannot use it because in my table there is no date field:

year (2007,2008, ecc) quarter (200701, 200702, ecc), month (01,02,03, ecc), product (P1, P2, P3, ecc), geo area (Area1, Area2, ecc), sales unit and sales value.

I am perfectly able to create the pivot table and drill on the time dimension, but I cannot use the wizard to get differences columns. Is there any other way to do this ?

thanks

NS