Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Two-dimension Two-expression Mekko chart

Hi everyone,

I would like to replicate this chart in QV. I believe it is a Mekko with the Style option for different heights. I would like one expression measured along the x axis and another along the y axis. It would have two dimensions, one for bar columns, the other stacking those bars.

Is this possible? How do I do it? I tried to make one, but an axes is only showing up for one expression, so I do not believe it is working.

Please see the attached example.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Andrew,

I admit that Mekko charts are quite under-documented in QlikView. I included detailed explanations on how to build both "normalized" and "non-normalized" Mekko charts in my new book QlikView Your Business that's coming out in April. Check it out on Amazon.

For now, I'll give you some brief pointers here. The chart you are trying to build, is called the "non-normalized" Mekko chart. Traditionally, it's built with a single Dimension and several Expressions. The first expression drives the width of the columns, while the other expressions drive the heights of the stacked blocks.

So, instead of your second Dimension, create a number of expressions (looks like you'll need three) and use Set Analysis to filter each expression to the desired value of the Dimension.

good luck!

Oleg Troyansky

www.masterssummit.com

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Andrew,

I admit that Mekko charts are quite under-documented in QlikView. I included detailed explanations on how to build both "normalized" and "non-normalized" Mekko charts in my new book QlikView Your Business that's coming out in April. Check it out on Amazon.

For now, I'll give you some brief pointers here. The chart you are trying to build, is called the "non-normalized" Mekko chart. Traditionally, it's built with a single Dimension and several Expressions. The first expression drives the width of the columns, while the other expressions drive the heights of the stacked blocks.

So, instead of your second Dimension, create a number of expressions (looks like you'll need three) and use Set Analysis to filter each expression to the desired value of the Dimension.

good luck!

Oleg Troyansky

www.masterssummit.com

Not applicable
Author

Hi Oleg,

Thank you for your helpful response. I think I have the chart working! I will definitely check your book out, I have been looking for a new one for some time.

However, one question - how can I have a scale for the first expression appear along the X axis?

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

That, to be completely honest, I don't know. I doubt if it's possible using the "conventional" settings (I mean without overlaying something above or below the chart). The best I managed to do is to replace the Dimension labels with the values of the first expression, and even that was not cumulative...

Not applicable
Author

You're right - I tried "Text on Axis", and the values show up, but not in the right place.

Any ideas on how to create something I could lay overlay for the axis? I was thinking a horizontal stacked bar chart, but unfortunately you cannot create a stacked bar with one dimension and one expression.

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Yes, you can!

1. Clone your Mekko chart and convert it to a Bar Chart.

2. Add a dummy dimension with the text "dummy" and promote it to the first position. Keep your original dimension in the second place

3. Leave the first expression and delete the rest of them.

4. Define the chart as Stacked and  Horizontal.

5. Use transparent colors to hide everything but the X-Axis

6. In the Mekko chart, use transparent background to allow the second X-Axis to be seen from behind.

7. Align carefully and enjoy!

Oleg

Not applicable
Author

It worked, thank you!!!!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

this is exactly how i showed scales on a mekko chart i created.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Oleg,

Thanks for your answer ! I had a similar problem and it worked !

However, I converted the same to normalized chart and the first expression doesn't define the width anymore. Instead, it drives the height of the column. Anything I am missing here ?

Thanks,

Ashay

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Ashay,

yes, the normalized chart is different from the non-normalized chart... Instead of several expressions, you should have a single expression and two dimensions. The total value of the expression for the first dimension determines the width of the bar, and the distribution of the values for the second dimension determines the heights of the parts within each column.

I'm describing it in a lot of detail in my book QlikView Your Business.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky