Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Two interesting problems we can't solve

1) We have a large amount of records (about 2 million) that have acreage information we would like some type of selection object that will allow them to select ranges of acreage (150+, 250+, 500+ 1000+) We looked at setting flags, but that presents difficulties when we try to create a single selction box. Any ideas?

2) We are also looking for a presentation selection object that will allow for Yes and No selections. FOr example Yes they were a customer in 2009 but no not in 2010.

We are new to Qlik-View so if the questions seem elementary, that's why

Thanks,

Mike

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

I dont't fully understand what you are trying to achieve but a simply IF statement in an expression may help?

if customerdate>2009,'YES','NO'

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

For the acreage selection there are a few methods:

A nested If statement giving you one field with 250+, 500+ etc.

A separate field for each size range flag

Load the same field twice more but rename it min_acreage and max_acreage ... then you can have two search objects, one you enter the min size and one the max size.

Where does the yes / no stuff come from?  Is it a list of sales made to customers or is it an active / inactive date flag on the customer record?  If you have a separate year field then by selecting a customer it could easily tell you what years they have made purchases in.  If that's what you're after. 

Cheers,

Emma

Not applicable
Author

Chris, the nature of our problem is that we have yearly sales and there are a multitude of questions that are phrased "Did they buy in 2009 and NOT in 2010", "Did they buy in 2008, 2009 and NOT in 2010" so on. We have 10 years worth of data, would we really need to create a selection box for every year that had "Y","N" in it, or is there a more elegant solution?

Since we already have units purchased, one way we were looking at was sales =  Units >0, no sale = Units = 0, but there doesn't seem to be a way to have a selection box evoke and expression.

Does that explain it any better?

Not applicable
Author

Emma,

Thanks that's an interesting answer and a approach we could take if we needed to, but I am guessing, and granted I am a newbie, but it's shocking that there is no selection criteria that just says "give me all the records with acreage greater than 250 acres"  Seems like a basic of any data operation. Maybe I am just missing something obvious.

Mike

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

If it's just one off selection rather than comparing lots of things then you can put a selection object, chose it to be applicable for a single field (acres) and then just type >250 in the selection space.

I might have been going down a rather more convoluted approach.

Cheers,

Emma

Not applicable
Author

in the script duplicate the field which contains the year? ie a date field for example

and put year(datefield),

year will only return the year and thus you can use this field as a selection.