Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dukane24
Contributor III
Contributor III

Unexpected total results

Hello,

I am having a frustrating experience with a pivot table, specifically the totals, and I was hoping someone could help me to get it to work as expected.

Basically I've got a pivot table set up that looks at work types for a number of people, totals their inventory, and determines how long the work will take them based on a time standard.  So there are three expressions:

Inventory - The Sum of the work

Standard - Sum of Time taken to do the work divided by number of transactions (basically the average time taken to do the work)

Total time - Inventory times Standard

The resulting table looks like the one below.  What's confusing me is the total column - the total reflects the sum of the inventory, and the standard total is close to an average, but the total time is in some cases nowhere need a total of the times across the various items types, in this case Type 1 and Type 2.  In the actual app, I have the totals for the Inventory and Standard hidden, so the user will only see the total for the Total Time.  What I'm looking for is for the total for the Total Time to be an actual total of the time for all of the item types.

I appreciate any help you can offer in advance.   

NameType 1Type 2Total
TomInventory18201291949
Standard2.671.712.16
Total Time4851.95220.74217.16
JaneInventory26918287
Standard1.7911.14
Total Time481.9217.99327.38
BobInventory48422506
Standard3.181.222.35
Total Time1539.726.871191.55

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

You will need an aggr-function for it. Probably something like:

sum(aggr(sum([Total Time]), Name, Type))

- Marcus

View solution in original post

5 Replies
vishsaggi
Champion III
Champion III

can you share a sample to look into? What is your actual expression for Total time? May be try like

= Sum(Inventory) * Sum(Standard)

marcus_sommer

You will need an aggr-function for it. Probably something like:

sum(aggr(sum([Total Time]), Name, Type))

- Marcus

dukane24
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you Marcus! This did just what I needed.

dukane24
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you for replying - this is very close to what I was using - it was closer to Sum(Inventory) * Avg(Process_time).  At a granular level the results were as expected, but the total was more of the sum of the inventory times the average of the process times for the various work item types once that dimension was added.  The users are expecting to see the sum of the granular (broken down by the dimension) Total Time.

vishsaggi
Champion III
Champion III

Got it. Glad it worked for you.