Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using Variables with Filters

Hi,

Hopefully you guys can help... (And it is something super easy that I have missed)

.. I have set up several Variables within my document which work fine throughout, and the charts pick up fine however..

.. I have 'CompanyA' and 'CompanyB' as two variables, both have the same sales people underneath them but also people that are specific to the comapny.

For Example:

Name               CampanyA          CompanyB

Smith               x                         x

Jones               x                         x

Bloggs             x

Harris                                            x

Williams          x                         x

But when I set up a filter on 'Sales People' even though my entire document (Charts/Tables etc) could be looking at 'CompanyA' the filter still brings through Harris and has it white and not greyed out as I would expect..

... Can anyone help on this please??

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

As you already mentioned, you filtered all the other charts with a so called set expression

{$<Group={$(GroupA)}>}

All the charts, but not the list boxes / multi boxes. You need to use an expression instead of just the field name to filter also the list boxes / multi boxes, something like this:

=aggr(only( {$<Group={$(GroupA)}>} SalesPersonField), SalesPersonField)

In your multi box properties, general tab, enter this expression after clicking on the 'Expression>' button in the middle part of the dialog box.

Replace SalesPersonField with your appropriate field name.

Hope this helps,

Stefan

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Not applicable
Author

could you be more specific?

".. I have 'CompanyA' and 'CompanyB' as two variables, both have the same sales people underneath them but also people that are specific to the comapny."

Not applicable
Author

I will try..

.. I have a tick box which shows every company that we work with, I can then tick several of these companies and press a button in my dashboards that sets a variable for the company/s that I wish to view.

Therefore all the charts etc I have have this is the expression

{$<Group={$(GroupA)}>}

This means that the charts only show activity/sales etc according to a company/s that I have set into 'GroupA'.

The problem I have is that if I then set up a 'Multi Box' and bring through Sales Person as a filter it shows every single salesperson within the database, not those specific to the Company/s that i have set into GroupA.

Does that make any more sense?

Sorry to not be very good at describing.

Thanks

swuehl
MVP
MVP

As you already mentioned, you filtered all the other charts with a so called set expression

{$<Group={$(GroupA)}>}

All the charts, but not the list boxes / multi boxes. You need to use an expression instead of just the field name to filter also the list boxes / multi boxes, something like this:

=aggr(only( {$<Group={$(GroupA)}>} SalesPersonField), SalesPersonField)

In your multi box properties, general tab, enter this expression after clicking on the 'Expression>' button in the middle part of the dialog box.

Replace SalesPersonField with your appropriate field name.

Hope this helps,

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

Cheers!

... Loving this..thanks!