Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bluecarbon
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Variable's value in -prj folder xml

Hi,

Where can I find a the value or content of a variable in xml files generated in -prj folder.

Thanks,

Rakul.

12 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Nowhere.

That's one of the issues with exporting QVW documents to a -prj directory. Variable values don't survive the export.

In most cases, you could mitigate this weakness by (re)defining your variables in your load script. Which is a best practice anyway.

Best,

Peter

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Not sure what you are trying to achieve.

Maybe it's an option to parse the XML code that is part of each QVW (you can load the XML code e.g. using the QV wizard), it looks like

<VariableDescription>

<Name>vMax</Name>

<IsConfig>false</IsConfig>

<IsReserved>false</IsReserved>

<ShownValue></ShownValue>

<RawValue>3</RawValue>

<Comment></Comment>

</VariableDescription>

bluecarbon
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

I tried creating -prj folder for a QVW with variable and then deleted the QVW. When I created a blank QVW and saved it with the same name as -prj folder, I got the variables back with expressions in it. Wondering where exactly this information is stored and getting recreated.

Thanks,

Rakul.

bluecarbon
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Please explain me how the above XML is created out of a QVW file.

Thanks,

Rakul

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Did you do a reload? The empty document was created using File->New?

If I do what you tell me you did, I (still) get a nice document with a series of empty variables. Using 11.20SR12

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Every QVW or QVD file contains an XML header that describes various properties of that particular file (including table layout and data lineage).

That header can be read into QlikView by opening the file using the XML import filter.

Peter

bluecarbon
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

I just saved it with the same name as -prj folder and closed it and opened it again. But I was seeing all system configuration variables too listed in the variable overview. Below is the steps to recreate.

1.Create a QVW with name var.qvw and created few variables in it.

2. Saved it and closed it.

3. Created a folder var-prj in the same location where qvw is stored.

4. Open the var.qvw and click save and close it.

5. Delete var.qvw

6. Create a blank qvw and save it as var under same location where it was deleted and close it.

7. Now open the var.qvw and you will be seeing all variables listed in AllProperties.XML file in var.qvw variable overview.

Thanks,

Rakul.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

With QV12, look into AllProperties.xml.

I somehow mixed up the files. AllProperties.xml still only contains the properties of the variables, not the content.

bluecarbon
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi,

I opened a qvw file in WordPad and I was able to see the xml having values of Variable Description. But still not in any other xml files generated inside -prj folder of QV11 version.

Thanks,

Rakul.