Skip to main content
Announcements
Customer Spotlight: Discover what’s possible with embedded analytics Oct. 16 at 10:00 AM ET: REGISTER NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brindlogcool
Creator III
Creator III

Vertical Reference Line for the combo chart

I want to create a vertical reference line in the combo chart . I have added the logic. By enabling the Continuous option in the Axes tab for the dimension and Continuous X option in the Presentation Reference lines. It is working fine.

Problem is I had the dimension as the weekending dates , once i enabled the continuous option in the Axes tab the dimension values changed from date to numeric and lost the scroll bar(Scroll bar is not getting enabled ).

If somebody has faced this issue and suggest any other option.

5 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

You can format the continuous axis numbers on the Numbers tab. There's no fix for the scroll bar though. A continuous x-axis means no scroll bar.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
brindlogcool
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks for your response. Is there any other option to enable the vertical reference line without enabling the continuous option?

Ideally i would like to show the trigger point date in the line chart . For example if the X Axis value starts from 01/01/2013 to 01/31/2013. And the trigger point might start from 01/05/2013 so how do i show it.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

No, well.. you could put an line/arrow object on top of the chart. But that's only an option if your chart is completely static and doesn't change when selections change.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
brindlogcool
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks Wassenaar. Will put it as an Idea. Let see what happens....

edwin
Master II
Master II

Hi,

being aware this is an old post, im adding in my take on this in case someone is has the same question.  

i had the same problem.  my scenario was i have 2 measures over time i plot as a line chart.  one is an actualand one is a forecast.  the user wants to see actuals as a solid line and forecast as a dashed line and a vertical line where the actual transitions to forecast. 

i created a variable that will hold the date delineating the two measures.  i created a combo chart with 4 expressions. first expression, i had something like this: =sum({<[Date]={"<=$(vDate)"}>}Actual) line style to <S1> solid, where vDate is a variable for selected date. 2nd measure:=sum({<[Date]={"<=$(vDate)"}>}Forecast) line style <S3> broken. for my 3rd expression, i used a bar chart  =sum({<[Date]={"<=$(vDate)"}>}Actual-100); 4th expression: =sum({<[Date]={"<=$(vDate)"}>}Forecast-Actual+200); i set the bar style to STACKED and selected allow thin bars.  color of first bar is 100% transparent; color of 2nd bar is solid which gives the appearance of a floating vertical line.

then i set a trigger on date selection to save the max selected date to the variable vDate and then clear the field Date

what this did was  plot actuals as solid up to the date selected then plot forecast (it jumps on the selected date) as dashed.  the vertical line is a very thin bar chart at the transition.  i added the -100 and +200 so the bar chart is 100 points below Actual and ends 200 points above forecast.  the user can click on any part of the line which will trigger a Date selection and move the bar;  the scenario is for Forecast always greater than actuals.  if not, then its easy to twaek the bar charts depending on which one is higher and which is lesser.  hope this helps someone.