Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the best approach in creating mutiple QVDs?

In two tier or three tier architecture, what is the best approach to follow to create a QVD?

1. One Qlikview file to create multiple QVDs? (or)

2. One Qlikview file per QVD?

Pros and Cons for each method

Also,

1. One QVD per database table? (or)

2. One QVD for multiple tables?

Pros and Cons for each method

8 Replies
marcus_sommer

I tend rather in the direction to use one generator (qvw) for one (type of data) qvd which meant that one generator could output various slightly different QVD_YYYYMM slices and/or sometimes a few different, too. I'm more pragmatic than to follow strikt rules and it depends most on the type of sources and the load run-times which generating-parts run together and which separated (whereby I split even belonging load-parts if the load-times are too big).

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Hi Karthick,

1. We can able to create Multiple QVD's by using one Qlikview file.

2. No need to be like one qlikview file per one QVD... We can create multiple QVD'S with one Qlikview file...

1. Yes, One QVD per one database table.

2. It is not possible to create one QVD for multiple tables.

Hope it helps...

Regards,

Vishnu.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Vishnu. I undrestand that One QVW file can create multiple QVDs. But what is the best approach?

1. One QVW file creating multiple QVDs or

2. One QVW file creating one QVD file?

Not applicable
Author

Creating multiple QVD's using one QVW is the best approach. But it always depends on the requirement.

Thanks,

Vishnu.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Karthick,

As per my understanding there is not much difference between these two approaches. It depends on your requirements such as,

-When you want to create 2 different set of data (each combining  multiple tables) - Its better to create 2 different QVDs each one combining multiple table

-When you want to reduce reload time, its better to create multiple QVDs. In this case you can reload multiple QVDs at a time

- But if your database has not much tables and a very light Schema you want to create, its better you go for a single QVD.

-When you have hundreds of tables and you want to create one QVD for each table, you will end up creating hundreds of QVDs which is difficult to handle.

It always depends on what kind of schema you want to build with your QVDs.

Hope this helps .

Regards,

Laxmi

Not applicable
Author

Hi Karthick,

best approach: One QVW file creating multiple QVDs....

Thanks

Anil_Babu_Samineni

For 2nd one, If we did transpose that scenario we can create one QVD, Right?

Table:

Sales,

Date

These are the Transpose Tables

Table1:

'A' as Reset,

Sales,

Date

Table2:

'B' as Reset,

Sales,

Date

Table3:

'C' as Reset,

Sales,

Date

Why not these

STORE Table1, Table2, Table3 into Path.qvd(qvd)

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
Not applicable
Author

Hi Anil,

It is not possible to create a QVD with multiple tables in store command.

-Vishnu.