Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

What is the purpose of "Document Chaining"

Dear All,

What is the main purpose of "Document Chaining" in QlikView ?

In which scenario "Document Chaining" will be created ?

Can anyone clearly explain this topic?

5 Replies
Anil_Babu_Samineni

Document chaining is the use of we can open from one document to another document which is used the fast far-reaching

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
Not applicable
Author

Hi Anil,

Not clear your answer, open for what one document to another document ?

Can you give any example ?

Not applicable
Author

I have not heard back with any suitable answer yet.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Bob,

Document chaining could be used in several cases all of them revolving around more scalable use of resources:

• Security: let's say all users can see one "welcome" QlikView app, and then only a few should see details. Instead of creating a complicated section access and sheet level security implementation all in the same app, which will be very difficult to maintain, you move those analyses to a different QVW to which only selected users can access,, but the overview is visible to all.
  • Performance:
    • if you have several apps with the same logic, like sales per country, it would be useful to have one app for each country instead a huge app with all countries which lots of rows that most of the users do not use, because they always preselect their region and then analyse from there
    • if you have historic data which is not always the main point of analysis, you can have Year 0 and -1 in App1, Year -2 in App2 and Year -3 in App3.
  • Drill-down or guided navigation: there are lots of apps in your deployment, each of them with different levels of granularity or simply sharing a few common fields (some date or type of person or item ID). Instead of creating a very complex galaxy schema you can create smaller apps with their own star dimension-fact tables and allow the users to jump from one view to another

Which is common to all and the other most important feature of Document Chaining is that it allows the users to keep the same selections regardless the app they are viewing.

In the Country-Region case, let's say I see Dashboard.qvw where I see an overview for the company, but then I select year 2016 and country Spain and click on "Detail", which opens Detail.qvw with Year = 2016 and Country = Spain already selected.

Document chaining works well with IE Plugin as well as Ajax interface.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Thank you Miguel - Nice explanation.