Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
julioarriaga
Creator II
Creator II

Why does the explained syntax of the functions' arguments have the format: [,argument] (see example)?

I can't get my head around why this happens. Thanks in advance.

Captura.PNG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Means that rank is optional, as the two examples demonstrate..

If you want to learn about the QlikView-specific BNF-syntax, read What is Backus-Naur formalism? ‒ QlikView

View solution in original post

7 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

That's used to state an optional argument.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Means that rank is optional, as the two examples demonstrate..

If you want to learn about the QlikView-specific BNF-syntax, read What is Backus-Naur formalism? ‒ QlikView

swuehl
MVP
MVP

But I would agree that the Qlik implementation (edit: of BNF) could be sometimes confusing. For example

should [{SetExpression}] in

Min([{SetExpression}] [TOTAL [<fld {,fld}>]] expr [,rank])

be read as "the - optional - SetExpression can be repeated zero or more times"? Which is not true.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

In this case, the curly braces are not part of the BNF specification... More often than not, the QlikView documentation says that "...a set expression must be enclosed by braces..." which IMHO means that braces are required but they're not part of the set expression itself. They're just delimiters.

Documentation, you know...

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Yeah, but then it should be printed BOLD?

All terminal symbols are printed in a bold face font. For example, "(" should be interpreted as a parenthesis defining precedence, whereas "(" should be interpreted as a character to be printed in the script.

But my eyes are weak, maybe they are in fact {} ...

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You're right. And no, you're eyes are ok.

This hasn't been corrected with respect to the exact same specification in the PDF-version of the manual. Like many other things. Shall we propose a friendly takeover of the documentaiton site?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

This hasn't been corrected with respect to the exact same specification in the PDF-version of the manual. Like many other things. Shall we propose a friendly takeover of the documentaiton site?

Peter, I had some similar thoughts from time to time, like a community based, editable or commentable version of the HELP (maybe like a Wiki page or its comments section), the results of the discussion could then be feed back to the Official help from time to time by the Qlik officials.

There are still some errors in the HELP (though the Qlik functions haven't changed for years ) which should be fixed some day.