Skip to main content
Announcements
Customer Spotlight: Discover what’s possible with embedded analytics Oct. 16 at 10:00 AM ET: REGISTER NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Why to use QVD ?

Hi guys,

Why to use QVD ?

I am new to Qlikview and working on Qlikview assignment.

The approach Qlikview developers take is load the data in qvd and the load the qvd in qvw. At the last the even qvw file needs to be reloaded.

Thanks.

6 Replies
Anil_Babu_Samineni

I recommend to read this

QVDs in Qlikview – Learn QlikView

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
avinashelite

*Data will compressed while storing

*Faster to load the data

*Can be used for incremental

*Secure (only Qlikview can read)

Etc

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your reply.

Ya but my question was why people use QVD they can directly load in QVW itself.

So in QVW all the above features you higjlighted can be achieve right ?

avinashelite

You cannot perform INCREMENTAL Load without using QVD and if you make you QVW you need to load data directly from DB so it will be time consuming but QVD will reduce the burden of DB overhead . If you use QVD you will have better performance

Hope you got the answers 

Colin-Albert

I would not consider "Secure" as a reason for using QVDs now, as anyone can get QV personal edition (or Sense) and open any QVD they can access. There are also third party utilities that can extract data from, and modify data in QVD files.

You need to ensure that QVDs are secured by file/folder permissions.

Colin-Albert

QVDs are useful when you want to share data between multiple Qlik Apps, You load the data from the database once and store to QVD, then several apps can load from the QVDs without impacting on the database.

If the apps were loading directly from the database, then the overhead on the database server would be greater.