code,  value

A        1000

B         2000

C         3000

I wish to build up a var containing a list of t5he codes eg. A,B,C

any ides ???

5 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

concat(code,',') will create a comma separated list of values from the field code.  Create a variable (i.e. vCodeList) and use the expression concat(code,',') as value. You can then use the variable in expressions: $(vCodeList). If your field code has duplicates you can use the distinct keyword to make a list of unique codes: concat(distinct code,',').

If you want to do this in the script you can do it with something like this:

T2:

load concat(code,',') as CodeList

Resident T1;              // <-- change T1 in the name of your resident table that has the field code

LET vCodeList = peek('CodeList');

DROP TABLE T2;

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The following may help:

SET a = 0;

SET CodeList = '';

DO WHILE a <= 200                                                                               // Test 200 rows as a limit

LET NextCode = Peek('Code', a,'TheTable');

EXIT DO UNLESS Len(NextCode)>0                                                        // Check code is populated

LET CodeList = if(Len(CodeList)=0,NextCode,CodeList&','&NextCode);       // Start new list or add to existing

LET a = a + 1;

LOOP        // WHILE a <= 200

Setting th 200 in the loop is just in case the code doesn't work. Rmove if you're more confident than I am. Ideally you'd want to get a count of the Codes in TheTable using FieldIndex() but I couldn't get that to work when I was originallly implementing this.

Jonathan

Not applicable
Author

thanks Gysbert ...

... where are you based ?

Not applicable
Author

great stuff ...

thnxs jon, which sector doyou work in ???

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Won't bore everyone on the forum and blur the knowledge in the threads, but feel free to email me offline.

Jonathan