Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

calculated dimension

what is calculated dimension?please explain with some example

4 Replies
Not applicable
Author

tresesco
MVP
MVP

In a chart, you can take a field as dimension, similarly, you are allowed to write your expression to get your dimension values. While you are writing expression for defining dimension, that is called a calculated dimension.

Example: Field1 (A,B,C,D)

you might want to write an expression =If(Field1='A' or Field1='B', Field1)   // this will give you only two members in the dimension, and this is called a calculated dimension.

m_woolf
Master II
Master II

If my data set has a PartDate field, I can enter:

=if(Today()-PartDate<=14,'New','Old')

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Michael: which is excellent as an example, but not very good in real life applications.

We should always keep in mind that Calculated Dimensions are extremely heavy on a large scale, and in most cases should be avoided with static fields calculated in the load script.

The only well justified use of Calculated Dimensions is when we use aggregated functions to create histograms. Those dimensions can't be prepared in the load script and therefore have to be defined as calculated.

We discuss those issues at length within the Masters Summit for QlikView, where I teach both Advanced Aggregation and Performance Tuning, and we talk about calculated dimensions in both of those sessions.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky