Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amita1621
Contributor III
Contributor III

commentary on qlikview file same as excel

Hi All,

I have an excel dashboard where comments are updated using a separate file using vlookup and the file has period(Qtr and Year) with other columns which has values that are comments.

I want to replicate same in qlikview and want an auto matic update of comments in textbox .

I am attaching the screnshots for more clarity.

8 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Looks straightforward.

• Load the excel file with the comments.
  • Create a listbox for the period field.
  • Add a text box with as expression =Only([Case Reserve Comment])
  • Select a period in the listbox.
  • Reload the qlikview document when the excel file is updated.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
amita1621
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks Gysbert.

This works fine.

But if there is commentary of 3Q2017 and other 4Q2017 then how that listbox can be used.

As 5 comments are of same Qtr and one is of other QTr.

is there any way to do this?

amita1621
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I tried this =if(Period='3Q 2017',Only([Top 10 Losses]),Null())

Anil_Babu_Samineni

With Only() function it returns only values in row level. Instead, May be use Aggregate functions around?

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Use a table box instead of a text box for the comments. Select the periods as necessary in the period listbox.

amita1621
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

i can select one period value at a time, and i want to provide one less value to other textbox.

Like if 4q 2017 is selected so some should have 3q 2017 values also.how is that possible?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Yes, that's possible with set analysis expressions. But you'll need a numeric quarter-year field. Qlikview can't tell from a string value like 'q4 2017' that the value preceding it should be 'q3 2017'. You could create such a field in the script:

=num(MakeDate(Right([Period,4), 3*Mid([Period],2,1)-2)) as PeriodStart

Then you can use expressions like

selected period: concat( {<Period=,PeriodStart={$(=max(PeriodStart))}>} [Case Reserve Comment], chr(10) )

previous period: concat( {<Period=,PeriodStart={$(=num(QuarterStart(max(PeriodStart),-1)))}>} [Case Reserve Comment], chr(10) )

amita1621
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks so much.

It works as a great help