Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

manually created expressions are not shown in the fields list

Hello Guru's

I have a doubt, I am loading the data from QVD and I have constructed a pivot table, in that I have two expressions created by me, which is not showing in the fields list, how to use the manually created two columns in the fileds list..

Can anyone suggest me...

Joe.....

3 Replies
gauravkhare
Creator II
Creator II

Hi Joe,

which version of QlikView you are using? Well this is somewhat not possible that the expressions are not showing up in the chart.Maybe a small mistake we are doing. Kindly cross check. You are using pivot table....expand all cells, check if the enable expression is mistakenkly unchecked.

Give your expression a name. Like you are using sum(amount)-give this expression a name and look for enable expression option. Again frankly speaking this thing is possible in QlikView.

Not applicable
Author

Hey Joe,

if I got you right, you want to see your in a pivot table created and named expressions in the list of fields (eg to reuse them in another object). This is impossible because this list contains only database-fields, created during the load. Expressions are valid within there own chart. There you can "call" them by using the expression name enclosed with square-brackets [].

If you want to use an expression very often in different objects a workaround could be using variables or another choice could be calculating them during the load.

HtH

Roland

Not applicable
Author

As Roland said you need to create those expressions in the script. Sometimes this is no big deal, other times it can be a real pain. Just some side notes:

1) If you decide you need to put those expressions in the script it's faster to load the data straight from the .qvd and then change the data loading from the resident table (to be honest the difference in performance isn't all that much unless you are loading MILLIONS of records).

2) This depends on many things but more often than not (from what I've seen anyway) you're better off adding flags and such to the script than you are running complex chart expressions over and over. It doesn't take very long to figure out how many accounts out of 20 million have received an invoice if you have an [Invoice Flag] field with 1 or 0 loaded in the script, but if you try to put it in a chart it is going to be a nightmare (I have to work with one qvw with millions of records that doesn't have flags like this and trust me... it isn't fun). Again I'm sure that's situational and I'm sure you could find plenty of situations where that isn't the case but... it's something to consider.