Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

mega loading

Hi,

I'm creating a mega project, and i'm using 3 tiers architecture, meaning, the data will be loaded into QVD by different QVW.

For the loading of the QVW, i don't want to use publisher to schedule them because it's just too many of them, and hard to maintain.

So i use the idea of BW process chain logic, and created something similar for QV.

There's a main dashboard, to monitor the load of each QVW, it will tell if it's sussccesfful or fail or when was it last run, etc.

and each QVW, we use batch file to trigger the qv process to execute the qvw in background,

and it has the ability to do daily load, weekly, monthly, or monthly on a specific date, works like wonder.

BUT sometimes it run and sometimes it doesn't, and i'm not really sure what is the error, although i can get it from the system log, but it didn't tell much.

and if i kill all the processes and did a manual trigger, it works, this solution by batch is really hard to troubleshoot.

has anyone of you done anything like this? maybe not the batch approach?

Please share ....  Thx.

42 Replies
Not applicable
Author

I've used this successfully in three different scenarios:

1. Publisher/QlikView Server Reload

2. Windows Scheduler Reload

3. External Scheduler handling the reload (e.g. EDX, remote batch file execution, pstools)

My suggestion is always the QlikView Enterprise Management Console (QEMC) for reloading. It makes it easier to see the jobs, and any errors the master jobs generate. But, you can pretty much do it any other way if you really need to.

Glad to help!

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Ralph, i converted all the loading to QVDistributionService.exe, it's much much more stable.

Thanks and Happy qliking..

Not applicable
Author

Hi Ralph,

Just a quick check with you if u faced the following error before?

i'm setting up another machine, and trying to use QVDistributionService.exe, but when i execute it, i got the error message like below.

In fact, i copy paste what i have done just to test QVDistributionService.exe , the only difference in this machine is that it's Qlikview 11.

Does it matter?

I did modify the config file for EnableBatch = True.

3/26/2012 3:22:15 PM          Error          Exception=System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at QDSMain.WorkorderStore.StartWorkorderStore()

at QDSMain.ObjectPool.InitObjects(ILogBucket i_LogBucket, eRunLevel i_RunLevel, Func`1 clusterIDListGetFunc)

at QDSMain.MainClass.BatchRun(eBatchReloadMode i_BatchReloadMode, String i_BatchReloadDocumentPath, String i_VariableName, String i_VariableValue)

3/26/2012 3:22:15 PM          Information          Setting exit code to the number of errors. ErrorCount=1

Thanks.

Not applicable
Author

I have never seen that error. Is this happening for all  your reloads, or just some of them?

Try restarting the QlikView Distribution Service and see if that gives you an error of some kind. I would also try and use the "Trace" directive in the config file - that might produce some more errors.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Ralph,

Yes, i did restart the service after the modification.

with Trace on, i got the following, it doesnt seem bad?

3/26/2012 4:25:13 PM          Information          TRACE:Cluster file successfully opened. File=Notification.xml, Access=Read

3/26/2012 4:25:13 PM          Information          TRACE:Cluster file closed. File=Notification.xml, Access=Read, Duration=00:00:00.0470000

3/26/2012 4:25:13 PM          Information          TRACE:Cluster notification subscription added for notifiable object. Object=QDSMain.TriggerDetailsFile

3/26/2012 4:25:13 PM          Information          TRACE:Cluster notification subscription added for notifiable object. Object=QDSMain.TaskDetailsFile

3/26/2012 4:25:13 PM          Information          TRACE:Cluster notification subscription added for notifiable object. Object=QDSMain.TaskExecutionHistoryDetailsFile

3/26/2012 4:25:13 PM          Information          TRACE:Cluster notification subscription added for notifiable object. Object=QDSMain.TaskResultDetailsFile

3/26/2012 4:25:13 PM          Information          TRACE:Cluster notification subscription added for notifiable object. Object=QDSMain.ConfigurationFile

3/26/2012 4:25:13 PM          Information          TRACE:Initializing ThreadPool

3/26/2012 4:25:13 PM          Information          TRACE:Threadpool "XSTP" started

3/26/2012 4:25:13 PM          Information          TRACE:Cluster file successfully opened. File=Configuration.xml, Access=Read

3/26/2012 4:25:13 PM          Information          TRACE:Cluster file closed. File=Configuration.xml, Access=Read, Duration=00:00:00.0470000

3/26/2012 4:25:13 PM          Information          TRACE:Initializing QVBWrapper

3/26/2012 4:25:13 PM          Error          Exception=System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at QDSMain.WorkorderStore.StartWorkorderStore()

at QDSMain.ObjectPool.InitObjects(ILogBucket i_LogBucket, eRunLevel i_RunLevel, Func`1 clusterIDListGetFunc)

at QDSMain.MainClass.BatchRun(eBatchReloadMode i_BatchReloadMode, String i_BatchReloadDocumentPath, String i_VariableName, String i_VariableValue)

3/26/2012 4:25:13 PM          Information          Setting exit code to the number of errors. ErrorCount=1

Not applicable
Author

what is the command you are using?

Not applicable
Author

C:\Documents and Settings\Qlikview_ACCT>"F:\QlikView\Distribution Service\QVDistributionService.exe" -r="F:\test.qvw" -out="f:\log.txt"

Not applicable
Author

I'm not sure what it could be. Make sure that the username you are running the command as is in the QlikView Administrators group - AND that you log off and log back on if you recently added them to it.

You might have to open a support request with QlikTech. What version of 11 are you using 11154 (IR) or 11271 (SR1)?

Not applicable
Author

the account is already both admin and QV admin.

i'm using the latest, 11154. just installed, and setup to try the QVDistributionService.exe

I have opened a ticket for them, lets see if i have anything from them and i'll post it here.

Thanks for your help Ralph.

Not applicable
Author

They just released SR1 - which is 11271. For kicks download that and install, and see if you get the same error.