cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

odbc connection string question

Hi,

Does anyone know if the encrypted UserID and Password have a time component or perhaps some unique Qlikview app ID embedded?  I setup a brand new SQL Server and created a user account which will be used for all Qlikview apps.  I noticed the UserID and Password are all different for each of the apps in the ODBC connection string.  Even for the same app, the UserID and Password maybe different when I create it. I would have thought the ODBC connecting string to remain constant as there is only one database account and password to use.  

Anyone can share some knowledge on this?

Thanks much

26 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

IMHO data scrambling means messing with data until it looks like gibberish. Scrambling usually uses a simple transformation process to obfuscate the data. If you know the process, then you can reverse it and unscramble the data.

Data encryption on the other hand uses verifiable mathematics-based algorithms to encode data in such a way that its protection is guaranteed. Encryption works with keys. You don't have the key? No decryption.

Care to read some more? See Scrambler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Encryption - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or for a shorter treatment, see Scrambling vs. Encryption for Oracle E-Business Suite Data Protection | Guardian Applications

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Peter,

You're absolutely correct.  Encryption/decryption works with a key.  I forgot about this as I haven't done windows

development for some time now.  I now recall when I wrote the encryption and decryption routines, the was a key

involved.  I do database administration now.  I will check out the links as well.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I just checked one of these encryption strings I created many years back, it does contain other ASCII values (no machine symbols) besides just the lower/upper letters QV produces.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Can you confirm QV uses x64 ODBC running on Windows x64? 

This is how I fixed my issue today with these threads about how to use a QVS file to store the connect string.

Also it looks like there is a bug in Windows https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/942976

This creates confusion when you view your user and system DSN's which what happened to me today as well.

Not applicable
Author

Hi guys,

Here I have a couple examples for these scrambled data.

As you can see we have salt only in first 5 symbols and in last 3. The main information was scrambled every time in to the same value.

But I can't recognise algorithm which was used for this operation

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I guess that's the idea.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

We definitely know the UserID and Pasw is part of this connection string which is scrambled. We don't know what

else is included.  My guess is it contains a "time" component which causes this string to differ each time you generate it (even for the same app;).  When the reverse process occurs, it throws away this variant,  That's my guess.

I also read you other threads where you were asking if it's possible to generate the string yourself manually.  I don't think so but I'm curious to know what you've discovered.