Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dhasharadh
Creator III
Creator III

% of reusability of Qv data model and jobs with any other BI tools ??

Hi Experts,

Need ur help on the above query,

We are working on a Qlik project where the major aggregations and table joins will be done in Database only and Qlikview is used for extractions of the few tables (max 15 tables) and doing the data model with them , along with incremental setup. finally we hand over the intended fields to the users so that they can start building their own reports.

Now the Questions is how much of this implementation can be re used if they select tools other than Qlikview.

Please help me as it includes other tools knowledge am thinking tough to answer this, i do not have much knowledge in other tools.

my thoughts:

1. Qv , QS and tableau and  power BI can use the tables which are aggregated in the DB.( reusability will be 80% in this category )

2. coming to Data model QV and QS can be similar ( reusability will be 90% in this category )

3. Incremental setup also similar in QV & QS ( reusability will be 90% in this category ).

Please correct me , and also provide your thoughts by considering different tools ( QS , Tableau and Power BI etc ) in the market.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tresesco
MVP
MVP

In re-usability question, qlik sense would be the best for the obvious reason that both qlikview and qlik sense are product of qlik. As far as qvx data usability in Tableau is concerned, I believe that Tableau itself doesn't read this format, it needs a third party tool like Alteryx, i.e - you have to invest additionally (unless Tableau acquires Alteryx by that time).

And, qvx is not as effiecient as qvd in term of reload time (you probably indicated by 'compression', actually none of the formats are compressed).

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ahaahaaha
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi,

What is the essence of the problem? Do you need to prove that QlikView solution is the most optimal in comparison with the use of the other BI systems? And if the project is already underway, why did the question of the necessity of justifying of something?

Regards,

Andrey

dhasharadh
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Andrey , Thanks for the Quick response.

Correcting myself the project is about to start, here the original plan is we have to develop the data model whereas users will be creating their own reports.

So they are thinking about the importance of our scope in the project, at the same time by considering the different parameters like cost and implementation time they might by looking for some other tools as well in the parallel.that is why they are asking this Question ?.

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Hi,

Personally I feel that, it's very rare that users create their own report in real business scenario. This 'self-service' term is a good marketing gimmick. If you tell your business about this feature, they would initially look very excited and you could sell it to them. However, when it comes to project implementation, you would find most of the requirements would be pre-defined.

I have implemented a Tableau project with main focus on users' ability to create their own report. Post deployment, I have seen only 2-5% (approx.) users trying their own report development in the server environment, that too kind-of feature testing effort. However, I have rather real user cases when they want their desktop version for making their own analysis in particular.

But this could be that I could not market it properly or because our users are mostly top management people who don't have much time to play with making reports; they are more into looking for the pre-defined reports. Therefore, it could vary organization to organization and user base to user base too.

This is my experience.

dhasharadh
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks Tresesco,

here the main thing is to identify the re usable things , right now we are preparing a separate database for reporting in Qlikview. and in that DB we are planning most of the aggregations and pulling those tables into Qv and developing data model and send the app to Users.

here 3 major things : 1.creating aggregated fields in the data base 2. Pulling the data and Data model dev

3. incremental setup.

if suppose in the future this Qlik apps are going to replaced with any other BI tools in the market. useful components from the current major things  ??

if it is Qliksense most of the Qv things will be useful , and i came to know the using QVX files its possible to use this data into Tableau as well. then we can use the Qlik data compression technique for tableau reports as well.

Please correct me if am wrong.

tresesco
MVP
MVP

In re-usability question, qlik sense would be the best for the obvious reason that both qlikview and qlik sense are product of qlik. As far as qvx data usability in Tableau is concerned, I believe that Tableau itself doesn't read this format, it needs a third party tool like Alteryx, i.e - you have to invest additionally (unless Tableau acquires Alteryx by that time).

And, qvx is not as effiecient as qvd in term of reload time (you probably indicated by 'compression', actually none of the formats are compressed).

ahaahaaha
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

From this point of view, you are right and you can explain quite so так the usefulness of using QlikView. 11. But I'm right and Tresesco. I think that very few users will try to create their own reports. This is my experience too.