LOAD * INLINE [

ACCESS,NTNAME

Admin, domain\Consultants

User, domain\Team Leaders

User, domain\Regional Managers

User, domain\Senior Managers

];

Section Application;

Instead of user names, I want to check if the user belongs to the specific NT Role

Now I want to implement a section access which behaves like this

I have three columns

Region, Office and Desk

One Region can have many Offices and One Office can have many desks

Consultants – Need to be able to access this report but only be able to view

information for their desk

Team Leaders & Branch Managers – Need to be able to access this report for

their office

Regional Managers – Need to be able to view this report for any branches

placed within their region

Senior Managers – Need to be able to access this report for the entire company

and for any office or desk

Also, There some sheets(tabs) that I want to hide for Consutlants.

I do know the basic section access and data reduction based on one field, but I need a little help in this scenario as I am not able to do this. Can someone please help. This is my first time implementing section access

Thanks

Arif

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Bharat - your question seems to be unrelated to this thread.  Can you post it in a separate question?

Arif,

This certainly was a bit of a challenge but I think I've cracked it.  If you don't know what a Cartesian Product is then Google it before looking at my solution! I've added comments in the script so hopefully you can follow my logic.

Hope it helps,

Jason

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I think you have a mismatch between your Section Access level of grnaularity and your restriction requirements.  You want (e.g.) consultants to only be able to see their own desk, but you are not loading individual consultants in the Section Access code, just the group name.

You need to load every consultant's name in the Section Access script and then relate this to the desk numbers in the main script.

Hope this helps,

Jason

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, That is one correction that I need to make. However, the problem that I am stuck in here is how to use three fields in data reduction. The reduction should be so that Senior managers see all regions, offices and desks, regional managers see all the offices in their own region and so on. For example, in the below scenrio, How Can I put the values of Region, Office and Desk so that Senior manager1 see everything, Regional Manager see All Offices and desks in his own region, Team lead see all desks in his own office and consultants only see their own desks data. I know one way is to list all possible combinations, but I dont want it to be hard coded. I want some dynamic way to do this job. For example, Regional manager1 is restricted to his own region (lets say region1), but If more offices are added to his region, then it should show it to him dynamically. However, Teamlead1 should not be able to see that region, since he is restricted to his own office. But since the added offices are inside the region of regional manager1, he should automatically be able to see it.

Section Access;

LOAD * INLINE [

ACCESS,NTNAME,Region,Office,Desk

Admin, domain\Consultant1

User, domain\Team Leader1

User, domain\Regional Manager1

User, domain\Senior Manager1

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Bharat - your question seems to be unrelated to this thread.  Can you post it in a separate question?

Arif,

This certainly was a bit of a challenge but I think I've cracked it.  If you don't know what a Cartesian Product is then Google it before looking at my solution! I've added comments in the script so hopefully you can follow my logic.

Hope it helps,

Jason

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Jason,

This is very close to what I need

Br

Arif