Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nigel987
Creator II
Creator II

what is the correct syntax for endif?

Hi, 

I'm using an if...then statement and I was wondering what the correct syntax to end it would be.

The help says it is 'end if' -> with space and semicolon

The autocomplete suggests 'endif'

So my question is: 

• do I need to use a space between endif, or does it make a difference?
  • do I need to use a semicolon afterwards?
  • do I need to use endif AT ALL (cause it seems to work witout it)

I was just trying something simple like:

if ComputerName() = '01.....' then

SET test = 1;

Else

SET test = 2;

END IF

Appreciate any help. Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

• No it doesn't matter - you are free to use either ENDIF or END IF 
  • No you don't need a semicolon afterwards. It belongs to the group of script statements called "control statements" they have to stay on a single line and will be terminated either by a new line or a semicolon which is optional.
  • QlikView doesn't complain although it is a bit odd - the result is that all the rest of the load script belongs to the ELSE part. So it is a pretty bad idea leaving ENDIF out.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2019/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/Scripting/Scrip...

View solution in original post

1 Reply
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

• No it doesn't matter - you are free to use either ENDIF or END IF 
  • No you don't need a semicolon afterwards. It belongs to the group of script statements called "control statements" they have to stay on a single line and will be terminated either by a new line or a semicolon which is optional.
  • QlikView doesn't complain although it is a bit odd - the result is that all the rest of the load script belongs to the ELSE part. So it is a pretty bad idea leaving ENDIF out.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2019/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/Scripting/Scrip...