Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zach_paz
Contributor III
Contributor III

By Month, Year over Year Comparison Bar Chart

Hello,

I am tying to create a simple bar chart that displays the percent change by month for 2013 vs. 2012. I am using the following expression, but the chart displays "No Data to Display"... Please help!!!

sum({<[Year]={$(vCurrentYear)},Monthnum = {"<=$(vCurrentMonth)"}>}[qualified])/sum({<[Year]={$(=(vCurrentYear)-1)},MonthNum = {"<=$(vCurrentMonth)"}>}[qualified])

8 Replies
Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

In your expression I believe the Monthnum is returning no results because the double quotes are causing QV to look for the text string <=$(vCurrentMonth) in the Monthnum field vs searching for <=10 (for October).  Try using this instead:

Monthnum = {$(='"<=' & $(vCurrentMonth) & '"')}>}

Gysbert_Wassenaar

The double quotes are not the problem. More likely is the expansion of the vCurrentYear variable. Try putting in a $ character  $(=$(vCurrentYear)-1)

Also, (just in case you did) don't use Year as dimension in your bar chart. That will cause a No data to display message too.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
zach_paz
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you both for your input. I tried both options and it still does not seem to work.

This is what my expression looks like with G Wassenaar's suggestion:

sum({<[Year]={$(vCurrentYear)},Monthnum = {"<=$(vCurrentMonth)"}>}[qualified])/sum({<[Year]={$(=$(vCurrentYear)-1)},MonthNum = {"<=$(vCurrentMonth)"}>}[qualified])

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

zach_paz
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Still doesn't work... I added my new expression with your suggestion to the original thread. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Have a look at the attached example. Perhaps you can spot the difference. Perhaps it's in one of your variables.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

I've played around with various dollar sign, quote bracket combinations and I'm feeling good about your syntax.  The issue could be in what is being returned by the variable.  Try hard coding what you believe what is being returned by the variable and see if the expression works.

zach_paz
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I tried everyone's suggestion and even recreated it using Gysbert Wassenaar example and it still wouldn't work. It may have to do with the variables I am using.

I used a simple expression:

=sum({<Year ={'2013'}>} inquiries) / sum({<Year ={'2012'}>} inquiries) -1

Thanks for everyones help!

Tammy_Milsom
Community Manager
Community Manager

Your MonthNums are not the same case, one has a lower case 'n' and the other an upper