Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Cannot get graph options to work

Hello there,

I am sill very much a novice user, and often I seem to struggle to get the basics of putting together work on Qlikview, and I am becomming increasingly frustrated in trying to get one of my early projects to work.

I have been on a course, read the manual and downloaded relevent paragraphs off the internet, but I cannot get this file on version 8.50 to work properly.

On one sheet I have a bubble scatter chart. However, there are up to 40 items that I need to report upon. I have included labels on datapoints.

However, the labels all stay uniformly fixed at points below or above the datapoints. Because, many of the data points will be close together, the labels are prone to merge into a meaningless jumble wherevner this occurs. This will occur regardless of font size.

Can this be rectified, or is this an inherant problem with Qlikview for a graph that can be presented better on Excel?

The alternative solution wopuld be to show the blabels within a legend. However, when I tick the "Show Legend" box in the Presentation Tab, the legend does not appear. Again, I have followed my course material and the help function, but this tells me no more than that I can create a legend in various styles.

I also have the arrow default ticked, with specifications, and again arrows will not appear in the graph.

Finally, I have a bar chart in another tab on the same file. The bars show percentage values alongside. I would like to show these percentages to decimal places. However, when I go into the number properties tab, whatever "Number Format Setting" combinations I try and attempts to put 2 as a precision or dp default, the percentage value shows as a whole value.

As you can see, at present I am finding the Qlikview user experience frustrating rather than rewarding.

These tasks are soemthing that I can easily perform in excel, and my company was sold Qlikview as a superior product that could do more than excel in terms of data presentation.

However, I am beginning to get doubts about what Qlikview can do for me.

Please can someone help me here before my qvw files becomke unused and start to gather dust in muy PC?

Thanks

11 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi

Any chance you could post your QVW file so I can look at specifics?

The bubble chart thing is a known issue (well, it's known by me anyway, I get around this by using pop-up labels on the bubbles but that's not always a usable option). Not sure what your problem is with the bar chart labels but this certainly should be possible.

Cheers,

Not applicable
Author

Hello there,

I am a lttle hesiatnt to send this file over the web as it contains confidential data. Apart from you and myself, who will be able to access this file

I have found how to add the legend (by accident). I revived my training manual, and it only briefly shows the icon and does not indicate the relationship between the Dimensions tab, and setting up a legend in the Properties tab.

That is a little like Agatha Christice writing a thriller set in a stately home without mentioning any butlers.

Even with a legend, the presentation looks poor withy six generic colours.

How would the opo up labels work. I have taken this op[tion off one of the graphs set up, and kept in on the other, and it seems to do nothing.

Regarding the dp's I need to add that I have list boxes on this file which have percetages sucessfully working to 2dps.

I look forward to your reply and hopefully being able to send the file in question over.

Thanks

Ian

Not applicable
Author

Hello Ian

You of course raise a relevant point in relation to confidentiality, I get around the problem in one of two ways.

1. If its very easy for me to do so then I'll create a very simple app with some inline data that allows me to duplicate the problem without using any of our confidential information. This is simple to achieve in the load script either by creating some source data in excel and using the table files wizard, or by using the inline data wizard in the load script.

2. If the above is not possible, I would use the scramble feature on QlikView to scramble all confidential information, it is not possible to reverse engineer this function so anybody who see's the file will simply see a list of scrambled info. In this case I would leave all measures and some simple dimensions unscrambled, but would scramble customer names, supplier names, product names etc (but would leave things like region).

The scramble feature is available in Settings, Document Properties, Scrambling.

Hope this helps

I also attached a screen shot of what my pop-up labels look like, but bear in mind that these are pop-ups and therefore only appear when the mouse hovers over the bubble. Believe it or not, I've been trying to find out where in the properties I create this pop-up, and I can't find it.... I'll keep looking and let you know.

Not applicable
Author

OK Here goes

Thanks

Ian

Not applicable
Author

Sorry Ian, that file is completely empty!

Not applicable
Author

I have place the file within options "SLRMonthonMonth.qvw "

I hope it works this time.

Not applicable
Author

Hello Ian

Try the attached.

To get the pop-ups to work like mine I switched OFF pop-up on the first two expressions (because these are included by default).

To get the last bit of text to read properly, I changed your third expression to use special formatting (bit of a workaround this one).

Let me know if I can help any more, but I'm off home now so will pick this up again in the morning if you need more help.

Cheers,

Not applicable
Author

Nigel,

Thank you once more for your work and help. I will try to get th4ese chasnges into the scatter models.

One foinal thing, how can I get the EBITDA table to show decimal places in the labelling? Try as I might, dp's will not show regardless of the number combinations I try in the tab.

Kind Regards

Ian

Not applicable
Author

Hi Ian

Sorry about delay, been a little busy today.

This is one of those things with QlikView that, frankly, when you don't know it the only way to find out is from someone who does know (it can be a little frustrating at times - but its worth it in the end).

I attached the file again, the trick is to put the formatting inside the expression, but to also make sure that on the Number tab the formatting of the number is set to Expression Default. Don't ask why it doesn't function using the number formatting, I don't know!

Hope this helps,