Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Developing on a QV Server

Hi developers,

I have an issue here. I only know how to develop a QV application in my Personal Edition program of QV. However, I'm going to a project next week and I need to know how can I work in paralel with other colleague. We need to work in paralel in the same project, in same document, so can we do that? If so, how?

After that, how can I deploy my QV App in Server?

Basically, I need some guidelines of how to work with a team in an Enterprise Environment.

I'm sure almost all of you guys know the anwsers for these questions, so please give some help

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

TMF

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

There are two approaches to team development of a QV app, plus one tip.

First, the tip. Seperate the data loading qvw from the user dashboard qvw. If you are creating a Finance dashboard, here will be (at least) two qvws:

Finance DM.qvw --- contains the script that build the data model.

Finance.qvw -- has one script statement -- BINARY Finance DM.qvw -- that loads the data.

This arrangement allows you to work on the data model and UI somewhat independently and makes the manual merge technique below easier to work with.

1. Work on different copies of the same app and manually merge work into a single master. It's easy to copy/paste objects from one qvw to another. So I can build one sheet while you build another. When you are ready I can copy your objects into mine (the master).

2. Use the source control feature built into QV to merge changes form multiple developers. If you are attacking the same project, you'll want to divinde it up into big components like sheets.

For getting the initial work done on a big project, I find option 1 easiest. Option 2 may be better over the long haul for maintainence, but I don't find the benefit for initial development, especially if the developers can communicate closely.

-Rob

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi all

Nobody knows it? I'm sure there is somebody that knows that... So please, help

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

TMF

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

There are two approaches to team development of a QV app, plus one tip.

First, the tip. Seperate the data loading qvw from the user dashboard qvw. If you are creating a Finance dashboard, here will be (at least) two qvws:

Finance DM.qvw --- contains the script that build the data model.

Finance.qvw -- has one script statement -- BINARY Finance DM.qvw -- that loads the data.

This arrangement allows you to work on the data model and UI somewhat independently and makes the manual merge technique below easier to work with.

1. Work on different copies of the same app and manually merge work into a single master. It's easy to copy/paste objects from one qvw to another. So I can build one sheet while you build another. When you are ready I can copy your objects into mine (the master).

2. Use the source control feature built into QV to merge changes form multiple developers. If you are attacking the same project, you'll want to divinde it up into big components like sheets.

For getting the initial work done on a big project, I find option 1 easiest. Option 2 may be better over the long haul for maintainence, but I don't find the benefit for initial development, especially if the developers can communicate closely.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Hi Rob,

Can you provide some tutorial / tips to get initiated to QV Source Control?

Thanks in advance,

Aldo.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you Rob

Kind regards,

TMF

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

@Aldo

Here's a recent guide