Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to force QlikView to open documents in a new instance

Hi.

I have three Windows 7 machines with the QlikView 10.0 (64-bit) client installed. On two of the machines, when I double-click on a QV document (qvw file), it opens in a new instance of QlikView. On the third machines (newly built), the document opens in a currently running instance of QV.

Test: Open a QV document. Double-click on another QV document - does it open in the existing instance of QV or in a new instance? On my new PC, how do I force it to open in a new instance - the same way the other two PC's do?

Have searched far and wide for an answer, and think it might be something in the registry? I don't remember doing anything special on the other two machines to make this happen.

Thanks.

Dave G

15 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hey David,

I always thought when you have an instance already open and try to open a new qvw it will open on top of the current one. You can always switch between them through Windows option on the top.

To open in a new instance I would click the shortcut icon then select the new qvw from Open>folders option.

Its interesting to know that this can be changed.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I'm not sure how your machines got to be different, but I found this link to be a useful guide for modifying the registry to set up the behavior you want -- same instance or different instance.

http://www.excelqa.info/2011/06/17/how-to-open-excel-files-in-a-new-application-instance-windows-7-o...

I set mine up for new instance because I find it easier to for copy/paste between qvws.

-Rob

http://masterssummit.com

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Rob, exactly what I need quite often.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Rob, but this didn't work for me in QlikView. I know the link you provided is written for Excel but I used it to apply to .qvw files (and the registry key QlikView.Document). No luck.

It's almost as if QlikView refreshes the registry keys each time it launches.

Following another suggestion, I installed the Windows shell Total Commander. Got it working from there but would rather not use that instead of Explorer.

The problem is DDE - need a way to disable it without QlikView resetting the key.

I still don't know what it works on two machines but not on the third. It really does feel like this is a Windows setting.

Has anyone else been successful in changing this behavior?

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

David Greene wrote:

Has anyone else been successful in changing this behavior?

I followed the instructions from the link that Rob Wunderlich provided, and got the expected result.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

If the shell registry keys are getting reset after you have modified them, I'd guess it is may be  done by something besides Qlikview. Like Group Policy? Or some type of virtual desktop or software mgr?

-Rob

Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

In Windows 7 the "File Type" tab has been removed from the file properties.  This means the only way to make these changes is to edit the registry.  I use this program to make it easier on myself.  FileTypesMan - Alternative to 'File Types' manager of Windows

Search of 'qvw' and select 'open' in the lower window.  Edit to the action to match the image below (form default just delete the string in the message window).

-Josh

Qlik

2014-11-17 07_15_51-FileTypeMan.jpg

peterwh
Creator II
Creator II

Hello,

I have the same problem and tried to open the link, but I only get to a parked domain. Do have the instructions somewhere else?

Kind regards

Peter

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Josh Good provided instructions two posts above yours.