Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Locking data into a Qlikview model

Hi

I am needing to lock in data on a monthly basis (i.e. the users want it so that no matter what changes happen to allocations after that period the data from the past cannot change). I did it for them for the annual data by creating a separate extract model and putting security on both the extract model and the data folders so that no one had access to them other than the administrators but to do that on a monthly basis would be a maintenance nightmare. The data is all being pulled from excel spreadsheets and excel mapping documents so I can't put any kind of locks on a database.

Does anyone have any suggestions on another way to do this?

Thanks

Colleen

3 Replies
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Hi Colleen,

you could store it away monthly in qvd_files? That way, the historical data would remain available, but no one could mess with it? Would that help?

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

If you build a QVD generator layer with one or more QVW's that create QVDs based on the Excel data, you can build in rules in the load script to not reload data that is already in the QVD(s), and you can store the QVDs in a location where only the Publisher system account (or server if you don't have Publisher) and the administrators have write access.

HTH

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
maxgro
MVP
MVP

you can store end of month data in qvd (snapshot_201501.qvd  snapshot_201502.qvd etc....)

and, with qvd, you can also  build a qlik doc where you load all monthly qvd, just add a field to identify the snapshot you want to analyze