Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Problem with the conection

Hi,
I got a problem , when charge my model of QV in my machine ,it works, but when tried charge it  in other machine,it   didn't work,I use the OLE DB for ORACLE and, I have PL/oracle installed in my machine but not in the machine who failure ,so I think
that I need to install some driver or some thing like that?

the error that appear is :

error in the test conection with the provider  ORA-12154 : TNS ...

some one  can help me?

best regards.

11 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

This is not a Qlikview error. Something is wrong with your oracle setup. Perhaps you simply specified the wrong database name (sid). Google the ORA-12154 error and check if the possible causes are the problem on your machine.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Roldan

Yup, as gwassenaar says it is an Oracle problem not a QlikView one.

Even though you have only given a bit of the Oracle error, it looks like a common error oftne caused by a problem in the tnsnames.ora file.

Maybe you could copy the tnsnames.ora from the good machine to the nad one.

Best Regards, Bill

maxgro
MVP
MVP

Most Common Mistakes connecting to oracle

1) you don't have installed the oracle client; you can verify oracle client it in Windows start menu or running oracle sqlplus from command line: sqlplus username/password@connect_identifier

you can find the connect_identifier in your qlikview script, it should be similar to

OLEDB CONNECT32 TO [Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle.1;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=username;Data Source=connect_identifier;Extended Properties=""] (XPassword is cryptedpassword);

2) 32/64 bit; is your oracle client 32 bit? use 32 bit oledb/odbc in qlikview; is your oracleclient 64 bit? ..........

the worst case is when you develop with the 32-bit oracle client on your machine and deploy on a qlikview server with 64 bit  oracle client (so keep the connection in an include and change before the deploy)

3) oracle connection to the database is not configured, usually in tnsnames.ora (sometimes in sqlnet.ora)

search the file tnsnames.ora on your machine

open the tnsnames.ora and search the connect_identifier; copy few lines (the lines identify server, port and service_name of oracle database)

connect_identifier =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.0.0.32)(PORT = 1521)))

(CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = dev))

)

and add the lines (or replace if connect_identifier already exists) to tnsnames.ora on your server

To verify, as said above, open a command prompt and

sqlplus username/password@connect_identifier

connected

good luck

Not applicable
Author

If you've got ORA-12154 you have Oracle client installed.

Try this from cmd (replace <service_name> with actual name):

tnsping <service_name>

Not applicable
Author

well , the problem is the first choice, we don't  have the sql plus , how can I install it

thanks a lot.

maxgro
MVP
MVP

sqlplus.exe (and tnsping.exe too) is one of the programs installed with oracle client installation; you can use it to check the connection to the database

but

your problem is probably the third as Lukasz said (ORA-xxxxx messages come from the oracle client)

try again with sqlplus and/or tnsping from dos command prompt,

look for tnsnames.ora in .............\network\admin

Not applicable
Author

what it you mean with "service name"

because the client it is installed but , for example between other platforms, the communication is function very well with the BD.

Not applicable
Author

well, the other thing is that sql is not installed in the machine, only  in mine so,

must work like that?

Not applicable
Author

Lukasz,

I tried to do that you said and in my machine, it work but not in other,I mean

tnsping  is not recognised in other machine

do you have any idea?

best regards.