Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QlikView and Business Objects

Hi,

I want to know if it's possible, in some way, to connect QlikView to Business Objects Universe.

If yes, how ? There's a connector ?

Thanks a lot.
Bye

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

I guess you're really saying "Is there a way to pull the metadata from a universe and then connect QlikView to that data, via the script?"

I'm sure it's not impossible, but it certainly seems to be difficult. Business Objects Designer (the tool that manages/creates universes) does have an SDK, and that SDK does reference the underlying tables/columns that are used. (see http://devlibrary.businessobjects.com/businessobjectsxi/en/en/BO_SDK/dessdk_com_doc/doc/dessdk_com_omd.pdf) It might be possible to write a QlikView macro that accesses the Designer SDK and then pulls back what you need. Hard, but potentially possible.

However, most universes are designed in such a way that it might be difficult to pull out the tables used in queries in a sensible way. (Think of all the context/aliases/etc. that might exist in a universe). You might be better off going back to your data architect and asking for a clean logical/physical model and starting the QlikView script from scratch? You could use a PDF version of the BO universe as a guide when it comes to naming objects in your final QVW (using script aliases)?

Hope this helps a bit?

DrNick

Not applicable
Author

The best way is direct.  DataRoket provides a direct connection to the BO Universe in real-time (InfoVeiw struggles at this), or access BO reports, PDF's or documents as a data source.  DataRoket taps BO data in seconds (note tested, 40Gb of data ingested in seconds).  Refresh is even faster.  Make BO work for you, rather than you work for BO. Then QlikView can show you the rest.  http://tinyurl.com/3har8tl

Oh, rediculous me, speed is nothing unless you access all the objects, rules, metadata, and more; and clean them up as you access the BO data.  Quick and powerful.  If this is not what you need, let us know.

qv connection to data via DR.png

Message was edited by: dkoeneman