Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Ram and Server Requirements?

Hello Experts,

I have data around 4 GB for the past 3 years which I am working with. While working on my laptop i was able to do a limited load and work with around 2 Million rows of data as my laptop has 3 GB RAM. Now I have a test server which has 6 GB RAM and I think its not supporting more than 4 Mil rows. Can anyone roughly suggest how much memory is needed on the server to work with 4 GB data and say around 10-12 million rows??

Thanks in Advance.

1 Reply
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

It greatly depends on the "width" of your main table (number of fields) and especially on the kinds of operations that you are doing with your data. Any of the following operations would require a lot of memory and processing power:

- Joins

- IF() conditions

- Group BY aggregations

- there are many more operations that consume a lot of RAM and CPU

Then, in the run-time, there are other considerations - how many users do you have? What objects are you using - for example, detailed pivot tables can be very heavy. Do you have INPUTFIELDs ? Do you use Advanced Aggregation ?

The fact that you can only process 2 Mil rows on your laptop with 3 GB of RAM, tells that you either have many fields ("wide" table), or your data manipulations are quite complex, or both.

It's really hard to estimate the hardware size, without knowing all the details. Based on your calculations, you should be able to process 12 mil. rows with approx. 24 GB of RAM, but it's impossible to guarantee...

As a recommendation:

- examine all the fields that you are loading into QlikView - do you definitely need all of them?

- Find QlikView document called "QlikView Optimizer" and determine what fields and objects are consuming most memory and attempt to eliminate or transform them to make them more efficient

- examine your data transformations and your UI objects, to try and find what's affecting your memory usage.

good luck!