Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adnan_rafiq
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Server/ Machine Performance Dashboard

Hi All Experts

There is an issue for convincing my compnay mates for qlikview dashboarding abilities about a server/machine performance. My simple question is "Is there a dashboard which shows the CPU storage, Ram utilitzation, I/O wating of a server machine". Mind you this dashboard should not be about the qlikview server, it has to be a server machine (hosting a DB or application) monitoring server, measuring its CPU storage, Ram utilitzation, I/O. It can be any OS and some thing made from a log of a server machine.

Regards , Quick replies will be much appriciated.

5 Replies
nstefaniuk
Creator III
Creator III

Hello.

Difficulties come from the various method to collect these information on different OS.

I am not sure you can write a script that collects these informations for all Windows, Linux and Unix versions. Except maybe a software developed for each plateform, and you read its output.

So I don't see how someone could create a dashboard that would work on all OS.

Moreover, these measures are usually perfomance consuming (depends on the level of detail of course) so administrators avoid to log these information all the time.

Not applicable

In general, big corp they have a seperate system to colllect server stats and store it on database. If you dont have this sort of system in place you can develop some scripts. For Linux and Unix you can write a shell or perl script and create a file and ftp to your central location. From there you can read into qlik. I'm not sure about Win OS.

adnan_rafiq
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Thanks for your reply

As I mentioned that it is not the point how someone gets this information. I know there are logs or demons that do this job. But my concerned is "Does anybody have a dashboard that has been made that montors the " CPU storage, Ram utilitzation, I/O wating or in case of Database server number of DML's performed in a tablespace." Some reports of these types. If you do please provide qvw

adnan_rafiq
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Ok I got that. What i just want to see is some qvw of any server other that qlikview showing me things like " CPU storage, Ram utilitzation, I/O wating or in case of Database server number of DML's performed in a tablespace.

I am not concerend how the data for a server will be extracted by either qlikview or agent. I just want to prove some interesting data presentation of a servers performance data.

Not applicable

Yes, its possible, QV ist used for monitoring dasboards. But its of course NOT possible to use realtime data.

I made one for monitoring a "farm" with a lot of sensors (water, heating, electricity, photo sensors, rain etc.)

Data is collected on sqlite, is collected once an hour and written to a QVD.

Its used to see f.e. what hapend in the last 2, 6, 12, 24 hours or in a selectable timeframe (more "historic" data).

But there is not much use to do this for servers, because there are a lot of products for this out there.

What you are looking for is "Servercheck"  http://www.serverscheck.com

http://www.serverscheck.com/monitoring-appliance/checktypes.asp

Or Spiceworks - which is free.

They steore Data in a database, sqlite, SQL etc. which can be accessed.

Absolutely possible, when you can access the data and convert it to a usable format.