Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RonaldDoes
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Unique rank

Hi Qlikies,

I hope one of you can help me out.

What are you trying to achieve?
We'd like to show some details for the top 3 agents based on an event counter. To this end, I've ranked them and use FirstSortedValue to pick up the field "Agent" for, let's say, the top agent:

=FirstSortedValue([Agent], -Aggr(Sum({<SomeDateField =  {">=$(=DATE(MonthStart(TODAY())))"}, [Agent group] = {"A"}>}[#Event Counter]),[Agent]))

And for the second best agent:

=FirstSortedValue([Agent], -Aggr(Sum({<SomeDateField =  {">=$(=DATE(MonthStart(TODAY())))"}, [Agent group] = {"A"}>}[#Event Counter]),[Agent]))

Fair enough, so what's your problem?

This all works wondefully well, and I was really pleased with myself, right until the moment that the first two agents had the same Sum([#Event Counter]).
Then, the Rank() returned "1-2" and there can be no FirstSortedValue, apparently. The above expression just returns Null (and my dashboard becomes an incomprehensible mess).

What would you like?

I'd like to (randomly) pick just either one of the agents to show the values for. Is there a way to have Rank() return a unique rank number?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Maybe add a distinguishing, tie breaking small amount below 1:

=FirstSortedValue(DISTINCT [Agent], -Aggr(Sum({<SomeDateField =  {">=$(=DATE(MonthStart(TODAY())))"}, [Agent group] = {"A"}>}[#Event Counter])+1/FieldIndex('Agent',Agent) ,[Agent]))

=FirstSortedValue(DISTINCT [Agent], -Aggr(Sum({<SomeDateField =  {">=$(=DATE(MonthStart(TODAY())))"}, [Agent group] = {"A"}>}[#Event Counter])+1/FieldIndex('Agent',Agent) ,[Agent]),2)

View solution in original post

13 Replies
sunny_talwar

May be add DISTINCT

=FirstSortedValue(DISTINCT [Agent], -Aggr(Sum({<SomeDateField =  {">=$(=DATE(MonthStart(TODAY())))"}, [Agent group] = {"A"}>}[#Event Counter]) ,[Agent]))

RonaldDoes
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hello Sunny,

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, this appears to return only a correct result for the first of the "shared first" agents.

Ranked agents

RankAgent
1-2A
1-2B
3C
4D

=FirstSortedValue(DISTINCT [Agent], -Aggr(Sum({<SomeDateField =  {">=$(=DATE(MonthStart(TODAY())))"}, [Agent group] = {"A"}>}[#Event Counter]) ,[Agent]))

Returns: A (as expected).

=FirstSortedValue(DISTINCT [Agent], -Aggr(Sum({<SomeDateField =  {">=$(=DATE(MonthStart(TODAY())))"}, [Agent group] = {"A"}>}[#Event Counter]) ,[Agent]),2)

Returns: C (expected result: B)

sunny_talwar

Try this

=FirstSortedValue(DISTINCT [Agent], -Aggr(RangeSum(Sum({<SomeDateField =  {">=$(=DATE(MonthStart(TODAY())))"}, [Agent group] = {"A"}>}[#Event Counter]), Rank(Agent)/1E10), [Agent]))

=FirstSortedValue(DISTINCT [Agent], -Aggr(RangeSum(Sum({<SomeDateField =  {">=$(=DATE(MonthStart(TODAY())))"}, [Agent group] = {"A"}>}[#Event Counter]), Rank(Agent)/1E10), [Agent]), 2)

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Maybe add a distinguishing, tie breaking small amount below 1:

=FirstSortedValue(DISTINCT [Agent], -Aggr(Sum({<SomeDateField =  {">=$(=DATE(MonthStart(TODAY())))"}, [Agent group] = {"A"}>}[#Event Counter])+1/FieldIndex('Agent',Agent) ,[Agent]))

=FirstSortedValue(DISTINCT [Agent], -Aggr(Sum({<SomeDateField =  {">=$(=DATE(MonthStart(TODAY())))"}, [Agent group] = {"A"}>}[#Event Counter])+1/FieldIndex('Agent',Agent) ,[Agent]),2)

stigchel
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

If you want ot randomly pick one, maybe you can use the rand function to adjust the sort weight. Something like

=FirstSortedValue([Agent], -Aggr(Sum({<SomeDateField =  {">=$(=DATE(MonthStart(TODAY())))"}, [Agent group] = {"A"}>}[#Event Counter])-Rand(),[Agent]))

RonaldDoes
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Genious! Working perfectly. Thank you very much, Stefan.

I've taken the liberty of creating a little demo of my original solution, Sunny's suggestion (just adding DISTINCT) and your FieldIndex-based solution which I've attached.

As for the Rand()-suggestion, that would work, however I have multiple objects showing details of the "picked" agents, that would also display randomly display the details for one of both, while the caption could display the other. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Naamloos.png

sunny_talwar

Did you miss my next suggestion my friend?

Capture.PNG

It seems to be working just like Stefan's (in your case at least)....

sunny_talwar

Oh and I don't even get a helpful response like others . I guess I was not really helpful at all

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Yes, Sunny's solution should work basically the same way.

It's up to you, Ronald, to define the criterium that you can use for the tie breaking.

Note also that my solution has a little flaw:

I was telling to add a small amount below 1 (assuming you are summing up integer values), but then I've used

+1/FieldIndex('Agent',Agent)

which actually equals 1 for the first agent in load order so might corrupt your ranking.

+1/(FieldIndex('Agent',Agent)+1)

should correct for this.

But as I said, there are other criteria possible (like the number of orders one needs to get the total amount, the smaller the better, or something similar, or just the alphabetical order like Sunny used (well I don't like that idea from a personal view) )