Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

nested set analysis - question

I followed FABRICE44 document and used nested set analysis.

See below for an excerpt from it.

It works perfect, if the field is numbers but not text.

avg({<[Lot Number]={"=only({<[Sample ID]={'CHS-013'}>}[Lot Number])"}, [Sample ID] = {"CHS-022"}> }RESULT_TEXT)

In the above, Lot Number, Sample ID and RESULT_TEXT are fields.  I am trying to get Lot Numbers where the Sample ID is 'CHS-013' and then find the Lot numbers that have a  Sample ID of 'CHS-022'.  This works fine if the Lot Number field is numbers, but does not if the Lot Numbers field is text.

Please help.

Natraj

I have spent over 20 hrs with this!

But we can also decide to search the MANUFACTURERs on a specific period, or for specific products. We

will create an inner set:

sum( {$ <MANUFACTURER_LDESC={"=sum({1<TIME_SDESC={'P 01/13'},

CATEGORY_LDESC={'ACC','CHEESE CAKE’ }>} [Volume Sales])>100000"} >} [Volume Sales])

Remember that the members could be enclosed between single or double quotes. Because the function

uses double quotes, we will use for the members either the single quotes or the square brackets [].

I want to find the Manufacturers whose sales are over 100,000 for the 2 categories CHEESE CAKE and

ACC in January 2013 (period P01/13). But I want to remove from that list those whose sales are lower than

50,000 for all categories in January 2012:

I need two sets : {<set 1> - <set 2>}, each of them will use the function sum():

Set 1 = 1 <MANUFACTURER_LDESC={"=sum({1< TIME_SDESC={'P

01/13'},CATEGORY_LDESC={'ACC','CHEESE CAKE'}>} [Value Sales])>50000"} >

Set 2 = <MANUFACTURER_LDESC={"=sum({1< TIME_SDESC={'P 01/12'},CATEGORY_LDESC={'*'}>}

[Value Sales])>100000"} >}

8 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Can you please explain what you are trying to accomplish with this expression? On first reading, there seem to be a number of contradictions which I cannot explain. And your code has not much to do with the example at the bottom, except for having two set modifiers too.

Thanks,

Peter

swuehl
MVP
MVP

It should also work with text values, when you are using a dollar sign expansion instead of an advanced search that evaluates to a boolean expression:

avg({<[Lot Number]={'$(=only({<[Sample ID]={'CHS-013'}>}[Lot Number]))'}, [Sample ID] = {"CHS-022"}> }RESULT_TEXT)

I agree with Peter that I don't fully understand the business logic of your set expression.

Not applicable
Author

Apologize for the cryptic question.

I tried the $ expansion thing you suggest - no luck.

Here is the table (from excel)

Lot NumberSample IDRESULT_TEXT
1CHS-0133
2CHS-0133
3CHS-0133
4CHS-0133
5CHS-0133
6CHS-0133
7CHS-0133
1CHS-0225
2CHS-0225
3CHS-0225
4CHS-0225
5CHS-0225
6CHS-0225
7CHS-0225
8CHS-0225
9CHS-0225
10CHS-0225
11CHS-0225
12CHS-1558
13CHS-1558
14CHS-1558
15CHS-1558
16CHS-1558
17CHS-1558
18CHS-1558
19CHS-1558
20CHS-155

Here is what I like to do:

1. Obtain the Lot Numbers corresponding to Sample ID = CHS-013

2. Find the Result_text for Sample ID = CHS-022 corresponding to the Lot Numbers obtained for Sample ID = CHS-013

My approach:

The Inner Set will do the first part:

{"=only({<[Sample ID]={'CHS-013'}>}[Lot Number])"}

This will return a list of Lot Numbers that correspond to the Sample ID = CHS-013

avg({<[Lot Number]={"=only({<[Sample ID]={'CHS-013'}>}[Lot Number])"}, [Sample ID] = {"CHS-022"}> }RESULT_TEXT)

Now if I put it into the outer set that will look for these Lot Numbers AND the condition that Sample ID = CHS-013, then I will end up with the Result_Text corresponding to the Sample ID = CHS-022, but only for the Lot Numbers corresponding to CHS-013.

Again, this works fine if my Lot Numbers are 1, 2 , 3.. 20.  But if I change it to A, B, C, D etc, it doesnt work.

Number worksUntitled pictureNum.png

Untitled pictureText.png

Untitled picture.Dollar.png

Text and $ expansion dont work.

Thanks for your help..

Natraj

swuehl
MVP
MVP

If you want to stick to your advanced search:

avg({<[Lot Number]={=not isnull(only({<[Sample ID]={'CHS-013'}>}[Lot Number]))"}, [Sample ID] = {"CHS-022"}> }RESULT_TEXT)

Not applicable
Author

Your suggestion worked! with the not isnull. What is the reason? How does

it work?

Is there another way to do this at the table level..

I am unable to logon to qlik community now...

Natraj

Not applicable
Author

I am also unable to mark your answer as correct! 

Thanks..

Natraj

swuehl
MVP
MVP

You can also use the p() function:

avg({<[Lot Number]= p({<[Sample ID]={'CHS-013'}>} ), [Sample ID] = {"CHS-022"}> } RESULT_TEXT)

Not applicable
Author

Thanks again for your help.  This is not giving me an option to mark your answer correct!