cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

saving to qvd

Hi,

I know it is a good practice to store data to qvd and then load from qvd to the model.

If I do lots of manipulations in script (apply mapping, aggregate, join, concatenate, rename, convert to dual and so on), then is it better to store in qvd in the very beginning or only after all manipulations have been done?

Thank you in advance,

Larisa

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

to store data into QVD in the beginning or after manipulation, in my opinion if we generate the data from database we better to store data into QVD before manipulation. if we store the data into QVD after manipulation while we generate the data from database it will burden the database itself, which is better if we generate the whole data first and store it in QVD while later on we can do the manipulation and store it into QVD again if we still need to do another manipulation.

here my case:

1. load data from database, and store into qvd (without any manipulation)

2. load data from qvd and do some manipulation (if still need to do more manipulation store into qvd)

3. do second process again until final manipulation complete (if complete can just use the data for dashboard)

Hope this help you

Thanks,

Suryanto

View solution in original post

4 Replies
jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

HI,

The main purpose of QVD is to reuse the same data in multiple Dashboards, if you are using the calculated values in other Dashboards then after calculation store it in QVD (no need to calculate/transfrom again in another Dashboards), if it not required you can use at the beginning itself without any  (apply mapping, aggregate, join, concatenate, rename, convert to dual and so on).

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Jagan.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

You can store data into QVD beginning itself without doing any(Apply Mapping, Aggregate, Joins, Concatenate, Rename, Convert to dual and so on). In case if you want to use QVD in other dashboards with some calculations then you can store data into QVD after calculations.

Hope it helps!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

to store data into QVD in the beginning or after manipulation, in my opinion if we generate the data from database we better to store data into QVD before manipulation. if we store the data into QVD after manipulation while we generate the data from database it will burden the database itself, which is better if we generate the whole data first and store it in QVD while later on we can do the manipulation and store it into QVD again if we still need to do another manipulation.

here my case:

1. load data from database, and store into qvd (without any manipulation)

2. load data from qvd and do some manipulation (if still need to do more manipulation store into qvd)

3. do second process again until final manipulation complete (if complete can just use the data for dashboard)

Hope this help you

Thanks,

Suryanto

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks everyone for your comments!