Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daviewales
Contributor III
Contributor III

Azure Synapse Connector Active Directory login

I'm trying to create a connection to Azure Synapse using the ODBC connector described here:
https://help.qlik.com/en-US/connectors/Subsystems/ODBC_connector_help/Content/Connectors_ODBC/MS-Azu...

I'm using Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows.

I've got an AD account which can log into the Synapse Serverless SQL database using 'Azure Active Directory - Password' authentication. I've confirmed that this account can connect to Synapse from the Qlik server using SSMS, to rule out any firewall configuration issues.

I'm using the following settings (anonymised):

Server name: ourserverlesssqlendpoint-ondemand.sql.azuresynapse.net
Database: our-serverless-database
User name: ouruser@ourdomain.org
Password: ******

The above configuration works in SSMS.

In Qlik I get:

Error message: Please check the values for Username‚ Password‚ Host and other properties. Description: General error

Details
ERROR [HY000] [Qlik][SqlServer] (40532) Cannot open server "ourdomain.org" requested by the login.  The login failed.

In the past I have been able to configure access to Synapse by creating a system DSN, and configuring the generic ODBC connector to use the system DSN, but I was hoping to switch to use the dedicated Synapse connector.

I can get the dedicated Synapse connector to work with a SQL Server username and password, as opposed to an Active directory username and password. However, this won't let us access views defined on top of blob storage, as this is mediated by Active directory groups, which a SQL Server user doesn't have.

What am I missing?
Labels (1)
0 Replies