Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kahl_dre
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

How Safe is it using Web File Connection

Hi,

I had a customer ask me if pulling data from a Web File can introduce Malware to the System.

Is there a whitepaper / official page that I can give to them that explains that it is safe to do this?

Thanks

Labels (1)
5 Replies
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

If you are using Web Files, I guess the changes are that you may get malware if it is attached to that file. Never tried this, but would like community experts to suggest.

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
kahl_dre
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Hi Kaushik,

Just to be clear, I am talking about the HTML "scraping". Surely that only reads the HTML text and doesn't download a file or executes any sort of code from the Web page?

kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You are right, I am referring to the same, but I am not sure if it invites any malware.

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

Never gave this much thought, but you are scraping data, and not creating a function in the load script.  

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
kahl_dre
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Hi Bill,

Yes. Just a simple data fetch from a website, but the customer is concerned about malware and I need to have some sort of documentation, to prove that no web code gets executed, so no malware can get onto the QlikView server via this data fetch.

LOAD
    Name,
    Abbreviation,
    Currency,
    Rate
FROM
[https://tools.sars.gov.za/rex/Rates/Default.aspx]
(html, codepage is 1252, embedded labels, table is @1);