Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AC187
Contributor II
Contributor II

Qlikview fetching slow data with sql server OLEDB connection

Hi All,

recently we have migrated from Qlikview 11 to qlikview 12 latest version.

We have got our UK database and Qlikview servers in both UK and HK regions.

while we do OLED connection from qlikview 11.2 to UK databaser server the fetch speed is very high i.e almost 20 million records are fetched in 3-4 mins.

The same  OLEDB connection made via sql server native 11.0 client connection works with Qlikview 12 wherever we connect UK database server with UK qlikview server (20 million rows in 3 mins or less)

However wherever we try connecting UK database with that of HK qlikview server by OLEDB with sql server native 11.0 client connection, the data speed is too low where it takes almost 50-55 mins to fetch the data (20 million rows) . For this we have tried with all recommendations on the community related to setting up Packet size in Oledb connection string with various values 4096,8192,24576,65536 and many more .. however nothing has really benefited ,

can anyone suggest what more we can do to make this working  to get same speed what we have with UK database server and UK qlikview server??

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
yogi_myd
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi,

Can you share the Error ? 

start with a lower fetchsize, this is from oracle doc

FetchSize - specifies the number of rows the provider will fetch at a time (fetch array). It must be set appropriately depending on the data size and the response time of the network. If the value is set too high, this could result in more wait time during the execution of the query. If the value is set too low, this could result in many more round trips to the database. Valid values are 1 to 429,496,296. The default is 100.

Based on your DB properties it reacts.

regards

Yogesh.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

I would suggest opening a case with Microsoft SQL support or check their Community, they are the experts on their drivers and should be able to suggest if there are any settings to improve WAN related connections, but I would venture the timeframe you are getting is pretty reasonable considering the delta between the locations.  Sorry I do not have better news for you.  The more likely solution would be to reload from HK and create a QVD file you push over to your UK site for the UK jobs to use...

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
yogi_myd
Contributor II
Contributor II

hi,

Can you add/increase the 'Fetchsize=1000000;' in the OLEDB Connection string? It gives better result :).

Note: Try in your Dev first and go for prod, usually in the production(sql server) memory partioning and load has been handled by DBA.

Regards

Yogesh.

AC187
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi it throws error if we increase the fetchsize so much, it depends on bit of operating system

yogi_myd
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi,

Can you share the Error ? 

start with a lower fetchsize, this is from oracle doc

FetchSize - specifies the number of rows the provider will fetch at a time (fetch array). It must be set appropriately depending on the data size and the response time of the network. If the value is set too high, this could result in more wait time during the execution of the query. If the value is set too low, this could result in many more round trips to the database. Valid values are 1 to 429,496,296. The default is 100.

Based on your DB properties it reacts.

regards

Yogesh.

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

See related post:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/QlikView-Connectors/Qlikview-12-fetching-slow-data-from-SQL-server/m-p...

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
AC187
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

This reDirects me to my this post only!!!  

Mr_H_Huang
Contributor III
Contributor III

I have the similar issue and I luckily found a solution. The issue was that we were experiencing very slow reload in the data extract qvw files studdently on a date and after. Sometimes the error appears in event log showing "fail to open in write mode". By reload the extract qvw in server and manually reload you may receive different errors or one is stop, on went through.

By changing the pack size it did help a bit like 10% improvement but not massively. 

We use include to load a connection statement in order to fetch data from database with SQL.

I have changed a syntax for my database Connection from "OLEDB CONNECT TO [Provider=SQLOLEDB..." to "OLEDB CONNECT32 TO [Provider=SQLOLEDB..." then it works 4x 5x faster than without forcing it to 32 bit. I hope this helps anyone meets the similar issue. You may change between 32bit and 64bit to see if it is work for your case. Thanks.