Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

unable to see odbc connection in "Connect to Data Source"

Hi there,

I'm unable to see odbc connection in "Connct to Data Source" option but same is visible from ODBC configuration from OS.

Few details:

QlikView Client Build Number 9.00.7119.0409

Operating System Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (64 bit edition)
Operating System Version 6.1.7600
Wow64 mode Using Wow64. 32 bit QlikView running on 64 bit OS
IE Version 8.0.7600.16385

Is this because QlikView client is running with 32 bit. And ODBC is configured on 64 bit OS?

Please suggest.

-Sid

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

In which of the following programs do you see the ODBC?

• The 32-bit version of the Odbcad32.exe file is located in the %systemdrive%WindowsSysWoW64 folder.
• The 64-bit version of the Odbcad32.exe file is located in the %systemdrive%WindowsSystem32 folder.

You should install QV 64-bits in the server. In QV version 9, QV 32-bits will only see 32-bit ODBCs and QV x64 will only see x64 ODBCs.

Regards.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

In which of the following programs do you see the ODBC?

• The 32-bit version of the Odbcad32.exe file is located in the %systemdrive%WindowsSysWoW64 folder.
• The 64-bit version of the Odbcad32.exe file is located in the %systemdrive%WindowsSystem32 folder.

You should install QV 64-bits in the server. In QV version 9, QV 32-bits will only see 32-bit ODBCs and QV x64 will only see x64 ODBCs.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

I could see it in the following folder.

C:\Windows\System32\odbcad32.exe

Are you suggesting to use QV 64-bits on Operating System Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (64 bit edition)?

If so then how about QlikView Srever?? Do we have to have 64-bit QVServer setup?

ShouldI install 64 bit QV and QVS on Operating System Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (64 bit edition)??

32bit QV on a 64bit on Operating System Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (64 bit edition) should be able to see 32bit drivers right?

Could please share the link or something to have a look at compatibility issues?

Please suggest.

-Sid

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Yes, definitely. If you don't install QV and QVS x64 you are still limited to use only 2 GB maximum of memory. There is no reason not to use QV x64.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

32bit QV on a 64bit on Operating System Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (64 bit edition) should be able to see 32bit ODBC drivers(C:\Windows\System32\odbcad32.exe) right?

Could please share the link or something to have a look at compatibility issues addressing

• 32-bit QV and QVS on 64 bit OS
  • 64-bit QV and QVS on 64 bit OS and ODBC driver compatibility.

Kindly suggest.

-Sid

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello Sid,

As far as I understand, Karl is right. There is no reason (unless you use some odbc driver which 64 bit version doesn't exist, but it doesn't seem to be the case) to not to use the 64 bit version of QlikView, apart from anything, for stability purposes (but above all, performance). We are noticing some issues running 32 bit QlikView versiones on 64 bit computers.

Since ODBC depends on hardware architecture and on the operating system, I'd check the Microsoft Technet or something like that to get more information about 32 bits drivers in 64 bits computers.

Hope that helps.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks you.

I did install trial version of 64 bit QlikView 10. I was able to connect to ODBC connection.

-Sid