Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlikview Server and publisher services on multiple machines

Hello all,

Recently I had to buil a simple Qlikview environment, Qlikview Server and Publisher on 2 machines. I found some posts and documents on the community about this.

I knew that machine 1 should be the Qlikview Server and machine 2 should be publisher... be then the info I found became inconclusive about the services on the machines.

Is there a best practice about which service should be "bundled" or should not be bundled for best performance?

I ended up with a complete install on machine 1, but without the distribution service and only the distribution service on machine 2.

Any suggestions??

Tnx in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

There isn't really a documented best practice for this. However, If I was setting up a system like this I would use three servers.

1. IIS (Webserver)

2. QVS

3. QMC and Publisher

If I only had two machines I would combine machine 1 and 2 above.

QVS will me the big memory user and needs to be separated from QMC and Publisher.

Ashfaq Mohammed is correct in his post also

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
manojkvrajan
Luminary
Luminary

Hi Eijnde,

Did you buy a clustered QlikView server license? If yes, you can cluster server 1 (Node 1) & 2 (Node 2) and enable QlikView Distribution Services (QDS) in Node 2 and use Node 1 (Server 1) for user to access the documents.

Not applicable
Author

Nope, it's a Qlikview server license and a Publisher license. No Cluster license.

ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi Van,

Yes you ca install QlikView Server and publisher in two different machines without clustered Licence.

All you have to do in distributed instillation.

As of know you have everything on single machine.

On server 1 install everything except QlikView Publisher.

And on Server 2 Install only QlikView Publisher.

Then go to QEMC --> System Setup --> Distrubution service and add publisher by the url attached to this mail.

By this you will have all components except QlikView Publisher on system 1 and only QlikView Publisher on system 2 that will be managed by system 1.

Regards

ASHFAQ

Not applicable
Author

Oke thank you for your comment. I know now that the way I installed it, is a way somebody else also would do 🙂

But is there a best practice for this? Because the Qlikview Migration manual suggests to install the Qlikview server and webserver on machine 1 and everything else on machine 2...

"There isn't a best practice" can also be an answer.

ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi.

I believe Qlikview Manuel's are self explanatory.

But if you talk about Best Practices.

Yes Bill Britt can get something for you.

Regards

ASHFAQ

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

There isn't really a documented best practice for this. However, If I was setting up a system like this I would use three servers.

1. IIS (Webserver)

2. QVS

3. QMC and Publisher

If I only had two machines I would combine machine 1 and 2 above.

QVS will me the big memory user and needs to be separated from QMC and Publisher.

Ashfaq Mohammed is correct in his post also

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

Thx for all the responses.

For now this will be a sufficent answer.

I'am going to make my own best practice out of it 😉

Not applicable
Author

hi @Bill Brit and Ashfaq Mohammed

If I already have Publisher and Server installed on the same machine, how hard would it be to uninstall publisher from this machine and install it somewhere else?

Also, would I have any problems with licencing?

Not applicable
Author

Hey Chris,

You don't have to unistall it 🙂

1. Delete the Publisher License in the QMC

2. Install the server with Publisher (use the normal QlikView Server installer and only select the reload enige in the settings, check the ref man for this if you don't know what I mean).

3. Apply the License again and point the Publisher server in the QMC to the newly installed Publiser Server

! You can, if you want / it;s not necassery, stop the distribution service in the Windows Services on the QlikView Server (the first/old one)

This is a very basic answer. The main thing is thats it's not hard to do, and I do this many times for my customers how are upscaling.