QlikView Server 10 is available on the download site in GA (general availability)!
But, when we try to install it with a domain user account, it can't connect to my domain. I confirmed that the server is connected to the domain, since other programs on the server can browse domain users. QlikView setup can't.
I know this server can do it, because I just uninstalled Server V9, and it was configured this way.
Is this something to do with V10, or is it possible that something else in my server configuration is wrong?
The domain user has to be part of the Administrator Group on the local machine. If you are using the same account that you used in version 9 this should be set. When you did the install, the user you used was it a Domain Admin? There could be policies on the server that caused a bad installation.
We used the same domain account as with version 9, which we literally installed (and uninstalled) on the same machine hours before.
The user is not a Domain Admin by design. It is however a member of the local Administrators group.
I was really baffled by it. After the install, we got everything working, then we went to the Services and changed the account the services run under from Administrator (which we performed the install with), and switched them to the domain user, restarted the services, and it worked with no problem. Something was blocking the install program from seeing the domain user at the time of install. Could be a fluke. I will post back here if I see it happen again.
I have done several installs of Server version 10, including one today, and I have not replicated this since the original time I had the problem. I assume it had something to do with that original server environment, but I was never able to figure out the cause.
Regardless, you can install without setting up a domain user, and modify the service account in the services control panel later.
When you change accounts running services, there might be no configuration files and registry settings for the new account. In this case QV creates default settings, and those might work fine as you noticed. Maybe there was something wrong with the settings from previous QV version.
When upgrading, it is good idea to manually delete (or rename) registry entries, relevant folders under C:\Documents and Settings\ .. and under C:\Program Files. And set the desired options later.
Thanks for the note. The "bug" is not related to switching the accounts. It's that the QlikView installer doesn't recognize a domain user account, which forces you to install with a local user and switch it later. The switching is not a problem either, as long as both users are members of the local Administrators group.
By the way, the (un)installer for version 10 of Server and Publisher does a good job of clearing out previous registry entries. You don't have to do it manually anymore.