Skip to main content
Announcements
Document boards are being consolidated, this board no longer allows NEW documents READ MORE

A Better Ad Hoc Listing

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
larry_w_
Contributor III
Contributor III

A Better Ad Hoc Listing

Last Update:

Sep 21, 2022 5:11:51 PM

Updated By:

Sue_Macaluso

Created date:

Jul 22, 2018 8:21:31 PM

Attachments

The attached application shows you how to create a data-driven Ad-Hoc listing just using variables.  Using a data-driven approach you can also "copy" dimensions and expressions to an Ad-Hoc listing so the user can add additional columns.

An Ad-Hoc listing is a table where the user can choose what dimensions and expressions from the data model are displayed.

This is a very powerful means of examining the data.

Customarily in QlikView this has been done by creating a straight or pivot table and adding all possible expressions and dimensions.

Conditional expressions are added to each dimension and expression so that when the user selects a dimension or expression name from a list box, the associated columns are made visible in the table. This approach has a big drawback: the columns pop up wherever they were defined, not in the order selected.  Needless to say this looks very unprofessional.  The user shouldn't have to move columns around to fix their listing which was correct when they entered it.

It would be great if an Ad-Hoc listing could be created which preserves the order of selections.  To make this data-driven would be an additional plus.  This could be done with macros, dynamically creating a table using the API.  But macros have a number of drawbacks and essentially Qlik's position is that they should not be used.

The attached application shows you how to create a data-driven Ad-Hoc listing just using variables without any macros.

This approach preserves the order dimensions and expressions appear for a more polished listing.

The user can create an Ad-Hoc listing and then save the listing in a bookmark for later use.

In addition, you can attach icons to every graph and table in your application which will allow the user to apparently "copy" the dimensions and expressions used into an Ad-Hoc listing for detailed analysis.

I'll just provide a cookbook approach to just getting an Ad-Hoc listing working without going into how it's done.

If there's any interest I'll provide some explanation of how it works.

Download the sample application and associated spreadsheet and place them together in the same folder

Explore the application to see how the Ad-Hoc listing works and how a chart can "copy" dimensions and expressions to the listing

To create an Ad-Hoc listing for your own application, see the recipes in the attached document.

Comments
buzzario
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi Larry,

I really like your app, and how it is so customizable from the excel without much work in the front end. Now I'm trying to implement this with my customer, and to literally copy and paste your app is no problem. However, they have 50+ dimensions they want dynamically, which is a bit too much to be easily workable in a list box. So my "boss" and I decided that we want to give each column a classification, with a max of 10 classifications which fit nicely into a small list box without scroll bar.

For example we have 6 dimensions we classified under the category 'Basic'. If we select the category 'Basic' in the list box with categories, we want the 6 dynamic dimensions which are linked to  be selected in the list box with the dynamic dimensions, so they appear in the chart. This while keeping the structure for the column names and the triggers you created with all the variables. I would also like to give the added possibility to deselect one or more of the 6 selected dimensions from the list box with the dynamic dimensions

I've tried to create extra variables for the 'Categories', and some of them work, but others don't. I tried to create a combined vAHClassDimCnd, which is supposed to take into account both the selection of a category and the dimensions linked to it, but I'm doing something wrong, I reckon. Any advice? See below for my restructuring of the dimension list, and for the variables I tried to add.

Dynamic Dimensions with Categories:

%AHDimOrd%AHDim%AHDimension%AHSheet%AHClass%AHClassOrd%Disable
1ArtikelNummerArtikel NummerArtikelBasis1 
2Artikel_NArtikel_N (Nederlands)ArtikelBasis1 
3Artikel_FArtikel_F (Frans)ArtikelBasis1 
4ArtikelEANCodeEAN CodeArtikelBasis1 
5ArtikelPLUCodePLU CodeArtikelBasis1 
6ArtikelProductsuffixProductsuffixArtikelBasis1 
7ArtikelVerkoopLeverancierLeverancierArtikelAankoop5 
8InkoopInfoRecordArtikelNummerLeverancierArtikel LeverancierArtikelAankoop5 
9ArtikelVestigingStatusCodeVestiging Status codeArtikelStatus2 
10ArtikelVerkoopStatusCodeVerkoop Status codeArtikelStatus2 
11ProductHïërarchie1ProductHïërarchie1ArtikelIndeling3 
12ProductHiërarchie2ProductHiërarchie2ArtikelIndeling3 
13ProductHiërarchie3ProductHiërarchie3ArtikelIndeling3 
14ProductHiërarchie4ProductHiërarchie4ArtikelIndeling3 
15ProductHiërarchie5ProductHiërarchie5ArtikelIndeling3 
16ProductHiërarchie6ProductHiërarchie6ArtikelIndeling3 
17ArtikelSoortArtikelSoortArtikelIndeling3 
18ArtikelIntraStatCodeIntrastatArtikelIndeling3 
19ArtikelGroepArtikelGroepArtikelIndeling3 
20ArtikelLengteLengteArtikelDimensies4 
21ArtikelBreedteBreedteArtikelDimensies4 
22ArtikelHoogteHoogteArtikelDimensies4 
23ArtikelGewichtGewichtArtikelDimensies4 
24ArtikelGewichtEenheidGewicht EenheidArtikelDimensies4 
25ArtikelVerkoopVestigingLeverendVestigingArtikelVerkoop7 
26ArtikelVerkoopPositieTypeGroepPositieTypeArtikelVerkoop7 
27ArtikelVerkoopVerkoopVanafVerkoop VanafArtikelVerkoop7 
28InkoopInfoRecordOrganisatieInkoopGroepInkoopGroepArtikelAankoop5 
29ArtikelBelastingClassificatieBelasting ClassificatieArtikelAankoopPrijs6 
30ArtikelVerkoopAankoopPrijsAankoop prijs brutoArtikelAankoopPrijs6 
31ArtikelVerkoopAankoopPrijsHoeveelheidPrijs hoev.ArtikelAankoopPrijs6 
32ArtikelVerkoopAankoopPrijsEenheidPrijs eenhArtikelAankoopPrijs6 
33ArtikelVerkoopAankoopPrijsKortingZID4Korting% ZID4ArtikelAankoopPrijs6 
34ArtikelVerkoopAankoopPrijsKortingZID7Korting% ZID7ArtikelAankoopPrijs6 
35ArtikelVerkoopAankoopPrijsNettoStuksAankoop prijs netto / stukArtikelAankoopPrijs6 
36ArtikelVerkoopVerkoopPrijsVerkoop PrijsArtikelVerkoopPrijs8 
37ArtikelVerkoopVerkoopPrijsHoeveelheidPrijs hoev.ArtikelVerkoopPrijs8 
38ArtikelVerkoopVerkoopPrijsEenheidPrijs eenhArtikelVerkoopPrijs8 
39ArtikelVerkoopConsumentPrijsInclConsument prijs inclArtikelConsumentenPrijs9 
40ArtikelVerkoopConsumentPrijsHoeveelheidPrijs hoev.ArtikelConsumentenPrijs9 
41ArtikelVerkoopConsumentPrijsEenheidPrijs eenhArtikelConsumentenPrijs9 
42ArtikelVerkoopMinimumAfnameMin. afnameArtikelAankoop5 
43ArtikelPalletAantalAantal per palletArtikelAankoop5 
44ArtikelUOMHoeveelheidEenheidUOM EenheidArtikelAankoop5 
45ArtikelUOMLengteUOM LengteArtikelDimensies4 
46ArtikelUOMBreedteUOM BreedteArtikelDimensies4 
47ArtikelUOMHoogteUOM HoogteArtikelDimensies4 
48ArtikelUOMEANCodeUOM EANcodeArtikelDimensies4 
49ArtikelUOMHoeveelheidTellerUOM TellerArtikelDimensies4 
50ArtikelUOMHoeveelheidNoemerUOM NoemerArtikelDimensies4 

Variables I tried to add:

vAHCClass$(=SubField(vAHClassSelOutX,';',$1))Ad-Hoc table class
vAHCClassCndLen(SubField(vAHClassSelOut,';',$1))>0Ad-Hoc table class show condition
vAHCClassDimCndLen(SubField(vAHClassSelOut,';',$1))>0 and Len(SubField(vAHSelOut,';',$1))>0Ad-Hoc table class+dimension show condition
vAHCClassTtlSubField(vAHClassSelOut,';',$1)Ad-Hoc table class column heading
vAHClassSubField(vAHClassSelInit,';',%AHClassSelIn)List box expression for class list box
vAHClassSelInC=If(GetSelectedCount(%AHClassSelIn)>0,Concat(Chr(%AHClassSelIn+128)),'')Unicode character list of class selections (unordered)
vAHClassSelInit=Concat(%AHClass,';',%AHClassOrd)Concatenated list of class user-friendly names
vAHClassSelInitX=Concat(%AHClass,';',%AHClassOrd)Concatenated list of class names
vAHClassSelInTgrIf(GetSelectedCount(%AHClassSelIn)=0,'',KeepChar(vAHClassSelOutC & PurgeChar(vAHClassSelInC,vAHClassSelOutC),vAHClassSelInC))Trigger for %AHTrigger for %AHSelInSelIn
vAHClassSelOut=If(GetSelectedCount(%AHClassSelIn)=0,'',Concat(SubField(vAHClassSelInit,';',Ord(If(Len(Mid(vAHClassSelOutC,ValueLoop(1,100),1))>0,Mid(vAHClassSelOutC,ValueLoop(1,100),1)))-128),';',ValueLoop(1,100)))Concatenated list of selected class user-friendly names
vAHClassSelOutC Unicode character list of class selections (selection ordered)
vAHClassSelOutX=If(GetSelectedCount(%AHClassSelIn)=0,'',Concat(SubField(vAHClassSelInitX,';',Ord(If(Len(Mid(vAHClassSelOutC,ValueLoop(1,100),1))>0,Mid(vAHClassSelOutC,ValueLoop(1,100),1)))-128),';',ValueLoop(1,100)))Concatenated list of selected class names
0 Likes
larry_w_
Contributor III
Contributor III

This is similar to a problem I encountered with the Expressions list box.

I wanted to be able to have the user select a category of an expression and see only the expressions in that category.

The problem is with the way the list box functions in QlikView.  The underlying dimension for the "dimension" and "expression" list boxes is simply a sequential integer.  An expression in the list box uses the sequential integer to pick out a field from a delimited string constructed in a variable.

It's not a problem to change the delimited string such that it changes whenever you select a "Category", the problem is how the list box behaves:

Say you have 2 categories, "A" and "B". Category "A" has expressions "One" and "Two" while category "B" has expressions "Three" and "Four".

When category "A" is selected, the delimited string is "One;Two", when category B is selected the string is "Three;Four".

If you select category "A" then the list box shows the two entries. If expression "One" is selected, all is fine so far.

Then you switch category to "B" and two items appear in the list box (Three and Four). The moment you select one of these, the previous selection of "One" is cleared.  QlikView sees that we're only selecting one of the displayed values in the list box, so it automatically clears the previous selections.
It's a big limitation not to be able to select from more than one category so this is not acceptable.

So, what I ended up doing is changing the sort order for the expressions (like in the demo app). You can choose a category and it will sort the available expressions by that category.
I think it may be possible to implement the categories, but it could get really complex and require multiple list boxes. I'd try to get your users to accept the sort order option.

I'll think about this further.

buzzario
Contributor II
Contributor II

Thanks for looking into this, Larry. I will discuss this with my lead and see if our users will be able to work comfortably with the changing sort orders of the list boxes. I will let you know as well if we find another solution!

0 Likes
buzzario
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi Larry,

I did find some kind of workaround for the categorization. It's not entirely as I intended but at least it's something that works to present the dynamic dimensions a bit better visually. What I did is I added only these two variables concerning classification, and deleted all the other variables I made concerning classification.

vAHDimHSubField(vAHSelInitH,';',%AHSelIn)List box expression for dimension list box
vAHSelInitH=Concat((%AHClass & '-' & %AHDimension),';',%AHDimOrd)Concatenated list of dimension user-friendly names with hiërarchy

This allows me to present the list box with hierarchy as seen in screenshot below, while everything you created keeps working as intended. For now it's the best way I can find to present dynamic dimensions if you have a lot of them.

DDHiërarchy.PNG

larry_w_
Contributor III
Contributor III

That looks like a good idea!

0 Likes
olgaLucia
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Hola Larry, Me ha encantado tu aplicación. He descargado los archivos y ahora quiero replicar tu modelo en QLikSense. He encontrado que debo realizar varios cambios, sobre todo en el llamado de las variables. Me corriges si no es asi... Pero en sí mi gran duda es como crear las variables que guardan una lista de caracteres unicode, pues en su definición está en blanco y no he podido entender como se llena esa lista en las variables vAHExpOutC y vAHSelOutC. 

Muchas gracias por tu ayuda.

0 Likes
Version history
Last update:
‎2022-09-21 05:11 PM
Updated by: